French Drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kturf, Sep 19, 2005.

1. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

Trying to figure an estimate on installing a French drain to be about 25 feet long what kinda pricing price per hour or by foot

2. landproscapes

landproscapes LawnSite Member

$12.50 per foot on something that short. Use gravel and pipe in silt sock. biggest pain is getting that little amount of gravel for a job that small. would have to get a half scoop at the quarry.

3. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

Sorry it was for 225 feet not 25 its alot of hand digging can only use a trencher in about 100 feet the rest will have to be hand dug i was thinking about charging 1950.00 for the whole project is that too high

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I noticed no mention of depth was made :)

See, there is no one methed for a french drain, there for there is no way for others to tell ya a price!

Most of our french drains are 5'x5'x5', or larger, as we use french drains to collect roof water when no other options are available.

And I calculate material costs (3/4" gravel, filter fabric, drain pipe, etc), equipment costs, and production hrs.

So, my advice is to estimate the materials needed, estimate your production hrs, including load and drive time per employee to and fro, and add in profit, and theres your price!

I know asked about per hour or per foot. Never Unit charge (per foot). If you charge $2.00 per foot for something that is difficult access and poor worksite conditions, you may loose your tail!

Its best to base your costs on existing variables. Materials. And time.

5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

225' x 14 dollars a ft. = 3150.00

Price includes , pipe,and gravel,and installation

:)

6. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

Can any one tell me why there are so many different kinda French drain i always thought a French drain was 2wide by 4 foot deep
    with ravel and fabric to stop top soil +from entering
    why do some put piping in a French drain

7. Coffeecraver

from VA.

8. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

9. Coffeecraver

from VA.

your welcome

the 12 dollars per ft would work where there is not a need for pipe.

:waving:

10. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

no we have to use pipe and sock its partly in the front of a bed area and along a foundation