french drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone installed a french drain before i have done some light excavating but haven done a french drain yet. what is involved in it what not know have to dig down along the foundation what not. i have a customer that wants one installed around there whole foundation.

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a Toro Dingo,with the trencher and bucket.

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

By guessing what your second sentence means all you have to do is dig around the foundation in slope of only 1 inch every ten feet and add stone. just make sure you have a place for the water to run or discharge at the end of the drain. The drain should be the lowest point and discharge away from the house.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Alot of people in the south put a tar coating on the foundation to seal it from water seapage as well. I don't know how well a dingo would do that close to the foundation. Sounds like a job for a mini mini-ex or a pick and shovel.

5. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your help guys yeh im going to look at it monday kind of hoping that will be some what soft ground to just shovel it. dont really want to have to rent and min ex. if dont have to granted would go fast though.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The nicest ones that I have done simply amounts to digging down a couple of feet with the bottom center of the hole away from the foundation. Fill with baseball to soccer ball sized rock to within 4-6 inches from surface. Level with 1 1/2" wash stone and cover with porous fabric and add a couple more inches of wash stone atop that. As long a your are dealing with a sandy soil there should be no problem to do it without a drain tile.

7. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I like to dig my trench, with 1" in 10 ft fall. I line the trench with weed fabric to insure dirt doesnt make its way in. I install my 4" perf. pipe with a sock. I then install the stone, and fold over the weed fabric.

Doing it this way keeps dirt out of the pipe, which is a killer of french drains. It always works and will last for years.

8. Mrsamman

Mrsamman LawnSite Member

What type of foundation is the home on, slab, post and beam, does it have a basement? What is the water problem they are having? I they are having serious water issues with the house you would want an engineer to take a look and he with give you a drawing with the exact specifications for the drain. If you then follow those specs your not a liable if it doesn't work right.
    Scott