French Drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by clayslandscape, Jan 18, 2014.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have a commercial acct. that I have and they have asked me to install some sort of drainage to get the water away from the building and to the street. It is a total of 127ft around the three walls then I would need to pipe it a total of 40ft to get to the street.

What would you all do? Would you French drain this 127 ft? 3 ft wide? The azaleas will be removed during the process

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

2. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Are you in Australia or something?

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

4. clayslandscape

any advice?

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Without actually seeing this and just going by the picture's, here is my first idea.

Assuming that the water move's away from the tree and toward's the building's this drain will catch the rain, catch the water from the air conditioner's and stay as far away as possible from the root's of that tree.

You should make a mulch bed under that tree, going out as far as the drip line.

Those catch basin's will make this drain 100% better. Always's use pea gravel to backfill and backfill the trench with rock completely... no soil ever! Keep the pipe grade's correct and this will drain.

Draining to the street might be against the rule's, better check on that first.

This is a job for a trencher.

DLP.jpg

Attached Files:

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Everything looks very level, can you get pitch on it all and still get pitch to the street?

7. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Appears in pic #3 I see gravel along the building with a tree root growing into it. Is there an existing drain? Maybe the roots from the tree have damaged an existing system?

8. clayslandscape

There is a sidewalk with a drain underneath it that runs to the storm sewer at street right smack in the middle of the courtyard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. clayslandscape

There is no existing drain there. Simply peebles washed to surface from water coming off roof over time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Following thread.