French Drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by clayslandscape, Jan 18, 2014.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

any more input? Hoping to do this job this week

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

French drains are both easy to do and / or easy to screw up. Money invested in a soils analysis and a consultation with a civil engineer is money well spent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member

What is their budget? Are they having a water issue in the building or just being proactive?

Something I would consider would be a regrade around the building. A small tractor with a box blade would do a great job at making a swale. Even with that tree there I feel confident my Bx-25 could do the job. Hopefully the grade of building and sidewalks & roads are not in conflict.
    My concern that is hard to see in the photos is how high is the soil level now to the building. Has the soil "grown" to cover the point where the concrete slab meets the brick and could moisture seep into the building due through such? This could be a good selling point.
    My initial approach would be a making a swale starting at the building to 6-10' out from the building due to the tree (If it stays). No french drain, but catches instead if any. No gravel but turf in swale. Perhaps a foot or two from building a low growing ground cover could be installed too?
    If the tree was to be removed, stump dug out, and roots dug (stump grinding is a sin), the whole area could be graded proper. Would open the door for all new landscaping and sod. Fresh new look!

4. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

That's the problem is that dirt is already as high as it possibly can be.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Why is stump grinding a sin?

6. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What he said. Appears the ground is compacted and level.
    I do a few of these every year hear. Some are simple with no trees and good slope. Some have almost no where to go with trees, landscaping and concrete. Consulting a civil engineer on this one is the way I would go.

7. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member

First reason is try planting another tree in that same spot. You will be digging with an axe. Nobody seems interested in truly grinding all of the stump. Ends up costing more due to additional labor.
    Second reason is the settling that will happen. The best way to ensure no to little settling 5+ years later is to physically remove the stump. If budget & plans allows, remove the large roots. Otherwise, fill dirt will be added later, and either sod or seed used. This happens after a person "lives" with the sink in their yard and decide they are tired of seeing it.
    Third reason is when they decide to deal with the sink, they will most likely talk to their mower guys. Who in my part of the world, seems to think throwing some dirt over it and laying sod without even properly edging the new sod in to result in a seamless installation is acceptable, gets the job. Then unfortunately the home owner is okay with it because the mower guy's bid was less than half of my bid. :cry: Now they got a lump instead of a sump. :hammerhead: But they got what they paid for I guess.
    If they didn't talk to the mower guy, I get to dig it up anyways. :laugh:

8. Lawnwizzard

Lawnwizzard LawnSite Member

Question are you licensed to do this kind of work ?