French Drain

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matthew horner, Feb 14, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone please run through the procedures for a french drain. Thanks.
    Matt

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

thank you very much

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That was a good article. In the process without the pipe or any fabric, wont the french drain become clogged over time from silt in the existing soils, and runoff???

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Your probably right Ken ... I've never really gone back to one years later to see if it is still working. It's a cheap Fix sometimes. Whenever I have done one I also incorporate a large rock filled pit.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I can see if you lined the trench with fabric, then laid the fabric on top of the stone, that would seem to be a better solution.

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

i always ad a 4 inch pipe but never filter fabric....the fabric over time will clog up with dirt and not allow water to enter the pipe.....a good covering of 3/4 crushed gravel works just fine.

Chuck

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Chuck ...I 've done it both ways, but like I said i've never really followed up years later so I can't say for sure. I do agree that filter cloth will clog over time. i would use 3/4 clear instead of crush.