French drains

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Big C, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer ask me today about installing French drains....I have no clue about these....all I know is they are rock lined trenches that the water is suppose to run into when it comes off of the roof and then drain off of the property...they are suppose to take the place of gutters.....I never heard of them...any info will be helpful

2. Fletcher Reede

Fletcher Reede LawnSite Member

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

completely wrong!!

french drains are utilized for ground seepage NOT for surface water (i.e. gutters). Gutters should be placed in solid pipe (no need for stone) while 'french' drains should be installed with clean stone and perforated pipe to collect the ground water or seepage water.

Not to try and sound harsh, but figure out what you are doing BEFORE you wind up tying this guys gutters into a french drain and have all of the surface water run back into his basement.

good luck

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

whts a basement? we dont have those in Louisiana!

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

6. LB1234

correct...sorry...then put even MORE water under the foundation.:laugh:

7. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

With gutters you are probably better off installing a drywell.

8. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

In no way was I planning on doing the drain work and the incorrect info that was given to me came from the customer....I don't think those are very popular in Louisiana.
    Just thought I'd learn something....that's all

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

This is not true, and french drains can collect surface water, and the link I posted has proven that. I keep checking with the HO's that I did that project for, and so for so good. I think the key was having a steep drop through the run in order to not let the water back up to the basement.

10. LB1234

i will kindly agree to disagree with this one