1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

French manicured lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 44toy, Aug 13, 2003.

1. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

Does everyone here make the grass look like a picture in a magazine? or does anybody just mow what people have and move on?

I just wonder, most people I mow for dont even go into the yard and hide if you want to talk about extras. I know I mow scrub yards but hey pay me $60.00 an hour. Bumpy, weeds, two weeks growth that is border line, and everything you can think of, very hard work but one day a week mowing and and I get at least a weeks pay check at the local mills.

I currently am going to school to finish my second degree and need all the time I can get. Everybody here asks if they are ready to buy a new mower etc, just wonder if i'm mowing the wrong yards?

I don't get drive time (most yards less than 10 minutes drop gate.) But $60.00 an hour when the gate drops and the bs stops!
  2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, I've got some of those "picture perfect" like you see in the magazine properties, but I've also got some like you're describing. I don't care either. As you said, good money for the job is all that matters. We're selling time. Besides, the yards that don't look great open a window of opportunity to upsell seeding, fert., etc. Golden opportunity.
  3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I have a couple of yards (part of a sub-contract) that are downright dangerous. Sometimes I "mow" a yard with NO grass. I can't MAKE them water.... aaaarrrgghh! Either way, grass-no grass, I get paid - and sleep well.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Striped every lawn, every time.....:D