Frequency of cuts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnalbert, Mar 23, 2008.

1. lawnalbert

lawnalbert LawnSite Member

Since grass doesn't grow at the same rate during the growing season, how do you sell your service?
    a) "x" number of cuts for certain months, then "y" number of cuts for
    certain other months?
    b) "x" number of cuts a month during every month of the growing
    season?
    c) keep the grass cut at "x" inches throughout the growing season,
    cutting as need be depending upon need and give an estimate as to
    how many cuts it would usually entail in the respective months?
    d) something else entirely?
    All responses will be much appreciated.

2. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

The grass grows pretty consistently where I'm from.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

In spring startws a two weeks. As the grass starts gowing goes to weekly. Stay weekly till Oct or NOv. Bi weekly till it goes dormat or winter rye comes in.

4. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

Most of my residentials are on a service contract and I mow weekly from March thru October and Biweekly from Nov. thru Feb.

5. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

Also the monthly price stays the same even during the winter months.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

albert - i assume since you are in md you are on more of a northern seasonal schedule than some of these southern year round guys...in other words you have some snow and freezing temps.
    I don't think you need to guarantee any # of cuts during any particular month. Just advise in your agreement you cut weekly. In 'normal' months that may be a 4 cut or 5 cut month. If its ideal growing conditions, you may show up an extra time or two per month to keep things under control. Likewise, if it is dry, you may skip a week here or there. The important thing is that YOU have control over when you cut, and you bill monthly based upon how many cuts you did.
    I personally don't use any of that level pay stuff, if my clients can't afford an extra cut a month I probably don't want em anyway.

7. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt tell them any amount of cuts,two years ago we had a week of solid rain,not just showers but steady rain like 4" so some yards went 10-14 days before it got cut.

8. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I am in a different growing area. But, I try to get my customers to look at the "yearly" aspect of service. Meaning my service is sold as 40-45 cuts per year. I don't guarantee monthly #'s, but I do promise 40 cuts for the year.

9. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

Each lawn is different, but I generally mow monthly in the dormant season, biweekly now with some weekly clients and then go weekly around April thru October.

Remember, fertilized lawns grow faster and need cut more often, so dont forget to upsell those extra services.

10. lawnalbert

lawnalbert LawnSite Member

Thank you.....the responses have been extremely helpful.
    I'm not sure how I'll word it yet, but the concept will be as often as needed, subject to a minimum (2) or maximum (4) cuts/month. I'll charge by the cut.
    How does this sound to you experienced LCO's in the Northeast?