Frequent cutting good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B. Idol, May 2, 2007.

1. B. Idol

B. Idol LawnSite Member

I just picked up a new account today. Residential. It is an elderly gentleman, he seems friendly. The lawn is fertilized on the Scott's fert. program. The grass is very green and lush. Of all my customers this one seems to understand that a 3 inch cut is better than chopping it down to super short. He wants it cut every 4 days and in the heat of the summer he wants it cut every 5 days. Most of my customers are the opposite. They all seem to want me to let it go as long as I can,then they want me to cut it real short.
    I just want to make a weekly schedule and cut grass. I am having trouble with getting all my accounts in an area to let me cut on the same day.It is costing me gas and a lot of running around. How do I solve this dilemma? Is mowing a property every 4 days to much? This also presents a problem, since I would like to cut each area weekly. I don't want to pass up the money, but I don't want to burn up gas going back and forth. I love mowing, but I am afraid that all of these finicky people are going to cause me to not love mowing. I like people, I just want to make all of this simple.

2. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do any odd day schedualling. Its either 7 or 14 days. Saves me a ton of head aches trying to keep track of it all. I push for specific days when i'm in the area, but ultimatly i let the customer decide. If its a real significant drive that is out of the way, i'll charge more accordingly.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Either charge for the extra driving and time it takes you to hit the same area several days a week or tell them how it has to be and hope they just accept it.

4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If you can fit the every 4 days in, do it, more money for you. As for the others, you set the days, not the customer. Tell them you are in the area once a week, or every 14 days, either one you want.

5. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Whatever happened to the 1/3 rule when it comes to mowing grass.

6. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

.....what's the 1/3 rule?

7. outcold00

outcold00 LawnSite Member

good question, maybe landscapers dont care? you shouldn't cut more then 1/3 off the top of grass, im still a nub, but im pretty sure thats what it is

8. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Thank is a great rule, but not many follow it. If you did you would have to cut more often in the spring. Like every two days. Who is going to pay for that?
    Cut tall - depending on individual grass type, tall can vary. In Ohio 3 in is good. Think and healthy lawn - less weeds and less stress cutting short.

9. B. Idol

B. Idol LawnSite Member

The elderly gentleman would also like us to push mow the whole thing. He has not seen my commercial mower, but he does not want the big mower on his fine lawn. He will let me cut the back yard with the 48". The prob. there is the front is bigger than the back. I believe that the whole lawn would look better if I cut it with the walk behind as I could match up the stripes. He said he likes the mulching mower. He is worried about clumps. I can make the clumps dissappear, without a bagger or a mulcher. It appears to me that sometimes the mulching mower causes the dead grass to accumulate at the soil level. Wouldn't this smother the grass? Any ideas of how I can gently convince him that overall the walk behind will do a better job. Or am I wrong? Will the push mower ultimatly be better for the lawn? It will probably take 40 to 45 min to pushmow. We all know it would be faster with the walk behind. Older people seem to favor the push mower. Do they just like to see us work harder, or are they just stuck in the old days. How do you keep the customers from dictating how their lawn will be mowed?

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you never said what type of grass it is......

you never want to cut more than 1/3 of the grass off