Friction loss for funny pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turfman59, Dec 15, 2002.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one have the specs for funny pipe? I have been using the Rain bird 1/2" I would like to try assembling some swing joints to get used to doing it before I go out to the site. Also I would like to have a comprehensive number to use as far as friction loss figuring the additional fittings and the pipe. Does anyone have an idea of what the additional friction loss would be with 4 swing joints per zone assembled opposed to just using cutt- off rizors. Lets say were using 45psi dynamic pressure at 12 - 14 gallons per minute on 1 " lateral line... Let me know if this is not clear enough.... Where has everybody been lately.. am I the only guy with questions... I am getting flash backs of my algebra teacher saying " remember the only dumb questions are the ones that arent asked" Oh buy the way I ordered my study guide materials to prepare for the CIC exam in February...
    SEEEEEEEEEE Yaah !

2. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

You will see a .48 psi loss, for a 10' lenght of poly, with a head using 3gpm. With Regards... devildog

3. turfman59

Where can I find that data, and is funny pipe poly or neoprene. If I look at the hunter book it has ID size of poly at 0.622 I dont think funny pipe is that large?

4. devildog

from sc

"Landscape Irrigation" written by H. Warren Johnson. Have no idea where you will find a copy, got this copy in '88. With Regards... devildog

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I assume your talking about the pressure loss through 2 funny pipe fittings and the length of funny pipe between them (12 to 18 inches of funny pipe)?

I don't think you would even see a loss of 1psi.......

6. devildog

from sc

3/4 or 1/2 poly 90 or straight male fitting, coming off a tee or 90 (1" or 3/4")? With Regards... devildog

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

It boils down to if you have to worry about pressure loss is a swing joint the rest of the job before that point is all wrong.

I limit flow in funny pipe SJ to <5gpm. I upsize all others for park and athletic to 3/4 and 1" based on GPM of the heads.

8. turfman59

If you boil it down its like this, if you fail to plan you plan to fail. I like to knowwhat I am doing before I commit materials to ground If you dont know what the PSI loss is, you are in my opinion flying by the seat of your pants, What is it? If you dont know it how the heck can you design it. If I start with a certain amont of dynamic pressure I want to know before the water is turned on what the operating pressure is on that last head on each zone, or can I comfortably add a head to this zone by up sizing pipe diameter and closing in the irrigation scheduling window..Foxx I appreciate your knowledge and helpful posts but your just dancing around the original question, what is the friction loss for a swing joint assembly at 3 gallons per minute at 45 psi dynamic pressure with a 1 inch lateral at 32' ft spacing??? Simple as that

9. devildog

from sc

ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.........

10. turfman59

1why would i use a 10ft pc of funny pipe.

2 what about the fittings (2)

3 what is the specs of the pipe you are quoting ( what is its composition )

thanks for your posts I apologize for my nit-picking detail oriented mannerisms