1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Friday the 13th story....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Oct 13, 2006.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Picture this......trimming up a property and this woman walks up to me...(scares me)... Thought she wanted a quote or something. Anyway...she said she hit my trailer. Quiet residential neighborhood, very little traffic. I figured we would just exchange insurance info because it was obviously her fault. I didn't have much damage, just a bent hitch. Her van had a bunch of dents. Probably 1500 to 2000 in damage. Anyway, she lived around the corner and went to get her husband. Her husband called the Highway patrol. Well, apparently, it is against the law to park any vehicle on a state road. He informed me that I must park in driveways, even if I use flashers and cones, etc. Whats really funny is the woman thought it was her fault the whole time and was talking to her husband about how now they can get the fan and other things fixed on their van and blame it on the accident. They got quiet when the officer handed ME the ticket. Now I have to pay for their repairs and mine. Next time I need some work done on my truck, Im going to rear end a vehicle parked in the street in front of someones house.
  2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

That's crazy !!!!!
  3. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

thats a law?? i'd look into that before i handed out any money.

if thats the case i break the law every time i cut grass!
  4. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

What I dont understand... is... how do you hit a parked trailer!? Especially one with flashers and whatnot. - crazy - Just a thought, was she talking on a cell phone?
  5. grass-scapes

Sun in her eyes, and windshield washer fluid on her windshield.
  6. grant087

grant087 LawnSite Member

thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard, i hope we dont have that law around here.....
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, that would likely never fly in the Commonwealth, thou our laws are written way different from state laws...

Afaik, if a stationary object is on a road and someone hits it, it's their fault... It has nothing to do with right of way, it has to do with the fact that the stationary object was there the entire time, even if it was blocking the entire road!

Unfortunately police officers are not but so well versed in the law, they are merely doing their duty by assigning a ticket based on what they know, and since their knowledge must cover most every aspect of the law, it stands to reason said knowledge could be somewhat limited in a specific area.

I would check into this with a good attorney of your choice.
    Also mention that bit of the conversation talking about extra repairs being done, but later...
  8. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

how is it a state road in a nice quiek neighborhood :confused:

and yea I would be letting my insurance agent or lawyer handle this one
  9. grass-scapes

its a nice quiet neighborhood in the county. The trooper showed me the SR number.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Go out there, take pictures up and down BOTH sides of the road - in BOTH directions. You can explain to the judge that there are NO No Parking signs. Oh yeah,...make sure there are none. Also, I would be in the state vehicle code RIGHT NOW looking this up. Do your research, and you might be able to beat this thing.