Friday the 13th

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Apr 13, 2007.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I could tell that today was Friday the 13th.

1. First job of the day my 32" mower won't start. The yard is too big and grass to high to use my 21', so I have to go home and get my 36".

2. Third job of the day my 52" starts running on one cylinder. I just put new plugs in it two weeks ago. So I use the 36" and finish the job. Then go buy new plugs for the 52" and that fixed the problem. I know I should carry extra plugs but I had just put new ones in it two weeks ago and never had this problem before.

3. Forth job of the day my new employee smashes his hand between a wooden gate post and the mower handle. He smashed it pretty good. It swelled up real big. So we stop for a while then decide he is going to take the rest of the day off to put ice on it and let it rest.

I finished the day by myself. I'm still trying to get used to having an employee. I have lots of doubts about this but I really think in the long run it will be better. At least while I ran home to get a different mower, he was able to keep trimming. It was just one of those days. That is more problems in one day than I had all season last year. They say things happen in three's' so hopefully that's it for this season or at least this month.

Howard

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck to you, hope things get better.

My grandmother died today. My best friend (My dog of 11 years), died on Tuesday. I have strep throat and an upper respiratory infection, and have still been working out in the rain and snow all week. Some days I dont know why I even bother. I still have two other dogs (My wifes and my daughters' dogs, actually) , but it's just not going to be the same coming home after work when MY buddy isn't at the door wagging his tail!

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I was going to start a thread just like this.

I lost half the day because it rained all day yesterday and things where just to wet this morning to do cleanups. I droped off my lazer wednesday to get a new hydro pump and tires. I picked it up today and was expecting a bill of about 600-700 bucks. Nope, $1060. Oh well its only money. Then I got to my first cleanup around noon. Well by 1 oclock my throtle cable broke. Found a piece of string in the truck and tied the throtle wide open so I could finish JRCOing the yard. Blew off the yard and back to the dealers. I also dropped of a backpack on wednesday because it would not shut off unless you pulled the plug wire. When I picked it up this morning I didn't notice they put the handle for the throtle on upside down. Had them fix it while I was getting the throtle cable. And saturday I have to hire a babysitter to watch my kids so I can keep up with some of the cleanups. Nasty weather coming in for sunday.

4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Well your week has been worst than mine. I know what you mean about your buddy. My dog is getting old and he is my best friend. He always looks out the window and watches for me to get home. He follows me around the house. He is always within 5 feet of me. It might seem silly to some people but it will break my heart when he's gone.

I hope you feel better and things get better for you.

Howard

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I caught a virus that is going around on Tuesday. I vomited twice at a lawn I was mowing on Wednesday. Thank goodness it was a leasing property, which is uninhabited at the time. Today was actually a good day, except I was moving kind of slower than normal. Bad weather rolled in thisevening and I have a huge term paper due on Tuesday night for one of my criminal justice classes up at UNT. I am hoping I can get the paper taken care of tomorrow and have Sunday for mowing some empty houses and a vacant lot. Friday the 13th doesn't bother me. I was born on the 13th and occasionally my birthday falls on a Friday the 13th. No biggie.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

So could I...it SNOWED :(. I mowed my lawn last night, and blew snow off the driveway today. Well, actually like half the driveway because I got to pissed off to do the rest because it was still SNOWING...in MID APRIL... Although, this beats the desert this place was last year. I am starting to see in a round-a-bout way how the global warming must really be changing the weather patterns, as it is NEVER consistent here at all anymore.

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Today went fine but monday was the worst for me and was also the first day doing cleanups.
    Walker mowers was working perfect for a while then at one point it wouldn't start. Opened it up and tried to find the problem. Called my dealer and talked to him then called a friend in the area who's a landscaper and he said he'd come down, he found the safety swith that may have been falty, so we unplugged it and cleaned and the mower started. Used it for awhile and then it woundn't start again. finally did and so i just put on the trailer since i'd already had at least 2hrs. of downtime with it.:(

During the first cleanup i was blowing out a bed near the foundation of the house and see this creature, though it was a cat then relized it was a SKUNK:eek: I was only a few feet away.

Was working across the street from a school and sports field and it was also the first day of soccer practice. All the lazy soccer moms were parking all over the street in front and back of mu truck and trailer causing a traffic jam. Had to put cone in a row behind the tailgate so they wouldn't block it off.:hammerhead:

Kids don't know how to kick a ball in the right direction it kept get smacked across the street into the yard where i was or hitting the trailer.:dizzy: If it ever hit the truck i would have chased them all with a shovel...

Got home when it was dark and then my backup lights weren't working properly so it was hard to see were i was backing up:help:

... that was a rough day.:sleeping:

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Who the heck does this sound like?

9. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

Hope y'll have worker's comp

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What, friday already?!

Dang, I thought it was like tuesday or something, where the heck did the week go?