1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Friend Advertising?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green Team Landscaping, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I have a friend who my parents, and other parents describe as an "Eddie Hascal". Very polite, has great manners, and he's great at talking to adults, BUT he does like to get into trouble. My question is would it be a bad idea to hire him to go door to door and talk to the homeowners to get some business for fall clean ups and maybe have them sign on with mowing also? All adults love him at first, and it's not until they get closer to him, or around him more that they see the trouble he really gets into. Anyways, I am thinking I pay him $8/hr to do this, and I would go around with him but he would do the talking because that's what he does best. I think there's serious potential. Also, would it be a bad idea to pay him by the job's he gets? Or maybe a percentage af the income from the job's he's gotten me? Ideas, comments, criticism?

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Initially, if I were a potential customer, I would not have a problem with a nice young man coming to my door looking for work and politely asking for my business and explaining pricing, etc.

Ultimately I would have a real problem if I found out he had no affiliation with your company other than to be "Eddie Hascal".

Sure, I think this idea would work to get you some customers, but might leave some people guessing as to who the owner is and who the heck is on their lawn. Just my $.02

3. Blood Bought

Blood Bought LawnSite Member

You may get more work to begin with but, if any of your customers realize at some point who your ad man is they will associate his reputation with you. Do you want to risk the damage to your reputation? Do quality honest work and the jobs will come from customer advertisement. Ask your established customers if they know of others who would be interested in your services and would they be willing to recommend you to them. Then your business will be built on your solid reputation and not the shaky rep. of another.