1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

friend had a question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vipermanz, May 29, 2004.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

me and one of my friends were talking the other day and he wondered what would happpen if he used diesel in his trimmer??
    i figured it wouldn't work myself, but i wanted to back it up.
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

What would happen?? You'd get a sore arm trying to start it! Diesel will not atomize using a carb. It will flood and foul the plug. Also not enough compression to get the compressed air hot enough to ignite any fuel present in the cylinder. Not to mention that diesel doesnt have the "bang" that gas does, there for, a larger flywheel ( a larger rotating mass) would be needed in order to keep the engine turning, if and when ignition ever did happen by chance.
  3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I know of a deal where diesel was put in a BR-400 back pack blower. The blower had just ran out of gas so it was a hot engine. The man running put diesel in by 'mistake?', you had to know the man. It DID start and run. It would not go above idle and smoked so bad it scared him and he dropped it and ran. His boss had to use the choke to kill it because the kill switch would not kill it. It was a "run-a-way". Now you may try the same set up a million times again and never get it to happen again but it can happen.
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lol, think i might show him this info in a day or two.