Friend Needs Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Earth, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

A friend of mine just recently retired from his job and wants to start his own business. He wants to start a small welding shop and do landscaping part time in the summer. He is an excellent welder and has helped me on some of my big landscaping jobs in the past and does a good job. The problem is he doesn't know what to name his business. Lets say his last name is Smith. He wants to use his last name in the title. For example "Smith Welding & Fabrication & Landscaping. Just doesn't sound to hot to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

2. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

I say call it Smith's landscaping & welding fabrication

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Smith's Inc. "A full Landscape Maintenance & Welding Fabrication Company"

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure Smith's Inc. is prob. taken though... :dizzy:

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

He might do better by separating the two areas into two entities or going with something like "Smith Services". Whatever he does, it should be clear to customers that he offers both services uniquely. People don't like to think, unfortunately. If the distinction isn't clear they will be detered because welding and landscaping don't go together. It would seem like a mess and people don't want to figure out a mess, they just want to get the job done as conveniently as possible.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I dont really like mixing two seperate industries in the same company name. Landscapeing and lawncare go together because they are both part of the same industry, Lawncare and welding are two seperate industies. Not to say a person cant do both. But maybe a name like Smith Lawncare and landscaping and then another name like Smith welding services, a division of Smith lawncare and Landscapeing. Seperate services but parts of the same company.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Mudd on this one. Keep them seperate under one coporation if he wants. I have two companies under the corporate embrella of my corporate name.

As shown in the Sig.

He can go with Smith Property Maintenance, Smith Property Services, Smith Lawncare and so forth.

8. Green Earth

So far I like " Smith Services" the best. Sweet, simple, easy to remember. He is just going to work for himself with no employees. Keep the names coming and I'll present all of them to him. :D

9. Green Earth

Bringing the post back around.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

He is to late. I already got that gig. I have welding on my list of services sheets we hand out. I swear i get more calls about the welding than the landscaping.