Friend tried to remove my tape!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Apr 8, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A friend of mine was talking with me yesterday and while we were enjoying the shade for a few minutes he started peelinb my electrical tape off the center of my tailgate. I told him to quit doing that! That is my sight to line my trailer up.

Got me wondering how everybody else hooks their trailer up, do you always have a helper line you up?

I usually get stuck doing it by myself so I devised a sight/target system to help me out. I stand a rake or broom up against the crank on my trailer making sure it is directly in line with the hitch and standing tall enough so I can see it over my tailgate. I placed a piece of black tape dead center of my trailer ball right on top of my aluminum tailgate protector. Now all I have to do is back up, line the sight and target up and I hit my mark every time. I might have to get out once to check how close I am but other than that it takes the guess work out of centering everything up. All I need now is a way to determine how close I am or if I over shot the ball??????

I thought I would pass this along, if anybody has a better way pass it on as well.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive tried several things ,tall stick at the hitch
    etc . nothing satisfactory yet. going to have to put some thinking to it though, as its real aggrevating if you are solo.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My way of doing it often consists of running into it numerous times :) Actually I usually get it about right, the trailer is wider than the truck. So I can look out of the left side and tell where I am at. In other words if I can see x amount of inches of the trailer, I pretty much have it. If the truck and trailer are not straight all bets are off :) Now I have to park the trailer on an incline and that poses another problem. I must first bump into the trailer tongue, then roll out a few inches. But not to far, because when I turn the truck off and hit the e brake, it usually want's to roll a hair more :) Then of course when you really need to hook it fast, you can't get it to cooperate, and it take ten tries :D
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

On my first box trailer, I mounted an 8" convex mirror on the front pointing down at the tongue. Worked pretty well. Probably would get in the way on an open trailer.
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A company called Cabelas has a nifty litle unit I'm thinking about getting,... when I get the extra money.
    It's a mirror which hangs on the tailgate - quick on and off.
    PN AM-52-0638 $49.99

In the meantime, I'll use Homer's trick.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a gizmo from Boat US for $12.95 that really works well. Any marine store should have it. Maybe Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops are an option also. It works off the same principle that Homer uses but takes the guess work out of how far back to go.

The kit comes with two small magnets, two fiberglass upright poles, and a "Y" shaped bracket that mounts horizontally to one upright pole.

I place the "Y" upright atop the hitch where the ball will end up and the straight upright at the truck tongue. All I have to do is back the upright into the "Y" bracket and stop. The rest is simple. This gizmo easily knocks 2-5 minutes off my day. (I know you guys are thinking "5 MINUTES to hook up a trailer?!? But you know where I am coming from!)

Anyway, this is a great, inexpensive product that really works well.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

They sure don't make them license plates like they use to.

Have to go get a new one about once a year.
  8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a gizmo on the "Crank and Chrome" TV show that connects to the tongue of the trailer. You back up and even if you are off by a foot it guides the ball to the copler and then drops it on. It was a simple metal guide type affair. Can,t remember who made it.
  9. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

We place a wheel stop behind and beside the driver side wheel before we unhook. Then we back into the same spot.
    This works good unless someone moves it of course.
    The stop behind the wheel saves our license plate.
    Our stops are 4x4's riped diagionly with rope through
    them. We keep about three sets for each trailer.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I work in the evenings part time and park trucks. We have several enclosed trailers. There are cameras on the back of them for safety reasons (for backing up). As soon as I get within a few feet, I simply look up at the monitor and see the ball go directly under the hitch.

Don't think I will be buying those cameras anytime soon though.