Friendly LCO's ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skookum, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Are you friendly with other LCO's crews. In otherwords, do you wave while driving past a crew or when you pass another crew on the road like at a intersection? Do they wave back if you do?

I seen several crews over the last few days and I waved or noded to them all like I always do. NONE made a motion back! Is it just me or is this the wrong attitude? I had several just kind of glare at me. Them seem to act like I just wiped dog poo off my shoe onto their trailer or something!

I guess I am just the friendly type!
  2. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

It's kind of a funny thing with LCO's. Most of them act all hard when you drive by, but if you ever end up talking to some of these guys they're real friendly. Once at a gas station, there was another crew filling there machines and we got to talking. The guy gave me a lawn that pays $100 a week that he has been doing for a couple of years. He said it was a little out of his way. Now I've been doing it for 4 years now. You never know what can happen when your just being friendly.
  3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

No friendly LCO's around here (that I've ever seen) Guess everyone is viewed as competition.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

It's sort of like us having a trade partnership with China - you're real friendly with them but you want to also be very careful around them. I am always friendly and wave/nod/etc. to them but I have noticed a couple get a little wooden about it.
  5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, and I would be one of those at a gas station meeting that would talk and take your card and give you referals and such.

I always try to get to know the crews around my properties. The other day, another new crew shows up next to an account I have had now 5 years. Every year it is always a new crew. Well, we share a island that we both mow. It is kind of screwy the way the properties are setup.

Anyway, this crew mows the first time the otherday. I got done and pulled my truck and trailer around behind them. I was going to swap cards and introduce myself. Anyway, this older guy comes by on a ZTR within inches of my trailer. I stuck up my finger, like waving down a cab, and motioned for him. He just kind of glares and drives right past while looking at me the entire time.

I think he found out that he had to mow another section out front that looks like it is part of my account, but it is not. I have no real clue, but, I could tell he wanted nothing to do with me, so I left!
  6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I know the feeling all to well. Several times I have initiated conversation, swaped business cards and even sent work to these guys yet when driving down the road I get the evil eye. Also when you go to those early spring promotions like LESCO throws every year all these LCO's show up and will rarely talk to one another. Like a bunch of snobs. Usually the crews will stick together and huddle in different corners of the LESCO wearhouse and consume their free burger. When finished they will just say thanx for the free meal and they will leave. I believe that this is a bit rude. I try to talk to some of these guys but they look at me like I am scum LOL Oh well more power to them
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I always wave at other LCO's. Most of them wave back too, probably 85%. I even stop and chat with a couple of them and they stop at times to chat with me. It seems like the ones that aren't friendly are the ones you have never seen on your route and look like they could of just started mowing. I was new at one time and I know what my work used to look like, so this is what I'm basing my thinking they are new. LCO's can get along, we do here. ;)
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i know most of the guys in my area, so if i see them i wave and they wave, most of the time when both of us are not working i'll stop and talk to them.
    i don't wave to new guys unless they wave to me 1st then i will. alot of guys are real nice around here.
  9. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Around here most are friendly. But some companies are pretty large and just have mexicans cutting for them so talking is not an option.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I find that most are extremely cliquey in our area, and more often than not would give you the stiff one finger salute just as soon as laff at you.

For the most part people either like fellow LCOs or they dont.

We were working an area that we call Landscape Alley. There were probably 10 companies on the street all working at the same time. Most of us spoke back and forth as we worked our way leap frogging up the block.

It almost looked like a pit stop during a NASCAR race. As three of us (LCOs) were leaving the crews ahead of us were hanging their heads out the windows yelling "OH NO -- NOT YOU GUYS, UGGGHHHH!!!!" to a new crew on the end of the block.

We just gave 'em the quickie head nod to acknowledge their presence and kept on to the next block. Doesnt make much sense, and I cannot figure out why everyone is paranoid of one another.