Friendly w/ competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guido, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking, and that alone scared me, but see if some of you guys can help me understand this. When I was back in CT in Biz, it seemed like most of competition wasn't very friendly and never really want to talk or help each other out (until they needed something of course!!) I was always outgoing, I had no reason to fear them, they had no reason to fear me, there was enough to go around. What I don't understand is why are a lot of contractors scared to talk with others in the biz? Theres no magic secret about lawn maintenance that might leak out to me, so what do you have to hide/lose? Theres only something to gain, I think, because you can learn from others mistakes, and hopefully not have to make them all for yourself. I don't know just a thought and kind of a continuation on Homer's the next level post.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that one will continue to be a mystery. It would be funny if everybody on this forum was in a 100 mile radius and then we would see how much we shared info and who would help who. I am currently &quot;coaching&quot; a guy that bought out a biz last year, it was a part time thing for the owner and he never set up any annual accounts so the new owner is dependant upon rain for income. I think he made a big mistake but he didn't know any better. It was raining when he bought it so everything looked good, when it stopped so did the income. <p>As for others in my area, we don't geehaw much either, there is one guy I talk with and sometimes we even discuss the amounts we are charging, thought about teaming up with him a time or two but have just about given up on that idea. Funny how we all seem to be able to chat about prices and work, and what we should or could do but the in town competition stays away from each other, hell, they won't even wave when you go by!<br>Maybe one day we'll all be able to get along.<p>Homer
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I find that up here in cheeseland most of my &quot;counterparts&quot; are very friendly. We have a comparatively small market of 250,000 people over about a 400sq mi county. (I didnt measure it with my wheel so the numbers are close)<br>Most guys I see on the road always wave and we talk when we are at the dump. I think some of the newbies are a little apprehensive to interact because they may fear someone is gonna take their business. If they make it around for a few years they find that there is enough work to go around and I'm not looking to steal his accounts. <p>I've had guys offer to help me if I get behind and I've offered the same back. We are lucky here because growth is steady, from massive business complexes to single family homes. <br>I think it boils down to what kind of person you are, everybody really wants to be liked and over time we all find our place. Nice thought.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

maybe it was just the snooty tooty prick city life I was coming up in?? When I retire from the AF, I'm hoping to settle down in Va, SC, NC, Floridia hopefully. We'll see, who knows whereI'll end up! I hope its a little frendliar (I know its not a word!) then city life!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Guys-<p>Woulnd't it be nice to go down the road and not get shunned off by your competition. I always try to wave or speak, other than the select few they all just ignore me. If we could all be civil our prices may be able to go up :)<p>Just a thought!!<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Just as an experiment...last Friday I waved to every lawn crew I saw out on the road (which was many!) of which NONE waved back. I got lots of weird looks though. I think everyone views the other as a threat in my area even though there is still plenty of work for all. Attitudes definitely prevail.
  7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that participating in professional organizations helps to 'break the ice' and gets people talking on a friendlier basis. It is possible to have friends who are competitors. Just play fair and don't give away sensitive information that will cause hard feelings.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
  8. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

The anti-social LMO's are the losers! They lose out on good info, education and building their social skills. Too much synergy can be gained by being friendly. Let them be &quot;anti&quot; we professionals will be what the name implies.....&quot;pro&quot;<p>
  9. Albert

Albert LawnSite Member

Gentlemen,<p>First post, so please excuse any lack of courtesies that might have evolved on this forum over time.<p>I wave when I happen to notice a lawn crew, but I don't stop to chat unless I happen to bump in to one at a fueling station. At least I don't discuss my business, I worked to hard for the knowledge I posess and I don't give it away.<p>We do have a reputation in town as hard chargers, if you don't want to do your job, we'll do it and get more for it. So it's not to often that we get a chance to chat it up anyway.<p>Nope, I don't want to be friendly with my competition, civil yes, friendly no way. It's a competition and I intend be on top! (Or as close as possible!)<p>Thanks,<br>Albert
  10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm always friendly to everyone until THEY piss ME off or give me a reason not to like them. Only 1 or 2 in our area of about 20 have accomplished that. I regularly chat with a handful of guys I've known for awhile & trust, but just like in the Martial Arts, you never give &quot;too many secrets&quot; out.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>