1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Friendly wave or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Timbo, Nov 3, 2003.

Do you wave at other lawn crews?

1. Yes

119 vote(s)
  2. No

10 vote(s)
  1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

Just curious, if in other states and cities, lawn crews wave at each other. Around here they do when we pass one another. Kind of like the Jeep wave or the biker wave.
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I almost always wave but maybe a 50% return. It is sad when others in the field will not wave back. You quickly learn which guys won't wave and which ones will. I grew up waving at everybody that passed on the road (not to many cars then and most of them you knew). I still carry that friendly attitude when driving around. Sadly it seems that a lot of others don't.
  3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

in my area not only do they not wave, most of them seem to have a scorn on their face:mad: i can only guess its because they're having to compete against me i dont know, or mabey they're just having a bad day , occasionaly i get a waver but for the most part not. i wave at everyone else though and thats about a 98% return:)
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I always wave - even at this one arrogant guy that NEVER waves back, scowls at me and if I see him at the gas station he will not say hi back... the thing that cracks me up is that on the back of his fancy dump box, he has "Reputation by the Lord", etc painted on it. I always have a WWJD moment. Kind of ironic, if you ask me.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

always wave to fellow LCO's. I have only had one company not wave back.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no! why should i bother. the guys around here wouldnt pee on me if i were on fire
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

thats pretty true around here too. They'd swerve at me if they saw i only had one hand on the wheel in hopes i'd wrap it up. Don't get me wrong, i'm a Jeep nut, so i know the jeep wave, but it just doesn't happen with the LCO's, only the one or two you "know"
  9. I wave dont hurt nobody to speak.I had a conversation with another lco about month or so ago.
    HE had a couple helpers and he came up and ask me how i made those lines(stripes) on the lawn lol.

Ive talked with quite a few lco's from around here most are dumb as a bag of hammers dont know how they stay in biz.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wave to everyone, and the vast majority of them wave back. It's only a select few that don't, and they quickly identify themselves as amateurs by not doing so. There is one company just to the south of us, that is huge. From what I understand, his guys are told NOT to wave. That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They all think their stuff doesn't stink anyway, because they're working for this big company, but in reality, this co. isn't all that. There is ALOT better work around.