Friends and Family

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turfrific, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

now that all of them see i started doing this, i'm being asked to do there lawns for free, if i don't feel like it then they want me to let them use my equipment. Should of known. :cry:

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

ask them if their dentist cleans their teeth for free or maybe if the plumber cleans their pipes for free? tell them that business takes money to succeed and if they dont like it, eff em. dont, and i stress DONT under any circumstances cut for family or friends. it really puts a strain on your relationships.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll throw a bone once in awhile... plant a bush.... dig up a dead shrub for a customer..etc.

But there is only one person that I help for free.
    My mother. She don't need to be outside in this heat doing ANY kind of yard work as long as I'm around.

Everyone pays something.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

When I was in the computer field, My brother in law, couldn't get it through his head, that I did that for a living, and when I come home, I didn't wanna rush over to his house to fix or provide computer support. " he is a flight attendant"

So Finley I told him.... after you come home from a 4 day trip. I dont ask you to come over and serve me stale peanuts, and crappy food do I ?

5. Turfrific

I do it for my mom, your right can't take that heat she's 72. going to have to tell them the same things they tell me to get out this. like my stuffs broke down right now or needs gas and im broke haha.

6. Turfrific

:drinkup:

7. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

I only mow lawns for free for my parents and my grand parents. Occassionaly if I have a family member that is low on money or something ill give them a huge discount but its hard to get through there head that no matter what yard your doing the mower still uses gas and you have wear and tear on it.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I use this line...

"this is how I make a living, how I support my family. If I do yours for free, I'd be passing up the opportunity to work for money, and that would be irresponsible. I owe it to my family to use my limited time to earn money."

or, simply...

"no I can't work for free, I'm sure you understand, it is a business thing"

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

bingo, and as far as borrowing equipment that's a TERRIBLE idea, things always break when you're doing it for free... we can speak to that.

10. Turfrific

that goes for tools as well, starting to wonder if i can have anything?