1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Friends, family & neighbors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Feb 20, 2004.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard one time that if you are going to do business with friends and family to charge them double because you will work for every penny.

I have a friends, family and neighbors policy that basically says I won't do business with them. The personal relationship I have with them is more important than and potential business realtionship. This is a policy built out of bad experiences.

Anybody else have similar or even different views?
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow my dads, sisters, wifes, and my grandmas.

Don't get paid $$ for ant of them. Just trade.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

My Granddad once told me, " You're only asking for trouble if you work for friends and family, and never sell any of them a used car, either"-smart words to live by IMO....
  4. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

It is hard too stay away from especially in a small town. I don't like doing it but I have some of the these are some of my best customers. It all depends on how long you stay in the business
    you will build relationships and good friends along they way.
    It helps if you are in the big city areas. More customer base to choose from.
  5. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

I have a two former co-workers who I work for in an area with multiple other accounts. I think I do get asked to do a few extras from time to time, but the word of mouth in the neighborhood has far out weighted any extra attention they need.

Never ever sell someone you like a used car. If it runs 200,000 more miles and dies you'll hear about it.

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I cut for friends and neighbors with no problem!
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I have customers that I'm friendly with, people that I can take conversations further with than many other customers, joke around with, the occassional cuss word, etc. And yes, my mothers yard is on our route but we don't charge her and occassionally I'll spruce up my sister and bro-inlaws place but she cuts my hair and he is a professional painter so we trade favors back and forth. I even had a neighbor up the street knock on my door last year who wanted a little work done. The only reason I agreed is because she said "of the 3 landscapers that live in this area, you have the nicest yard".
  8. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Family I wil help if possible, but friends and neighbors are treated like all customers. I hope they all understand that I am in business to succeed and not as a hobby.
  10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Always cut my mom's. Never charge her. Give friends a break, there very good to me. (close personal friends of 25+ years)