friends

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Jun 10, 2001.

1. hey there friends. i had a problem the other night. and for quite some time now. the problem is this. i am 19 now, and a good amount of my friends are 19 as well, 19 - 20 lets say. so 2 of them do this kind of work that i do. the trees, and the grass. one friend likes to borrow my lawnmower as well as my chain saws, ropes, etc. i never get any money for loaning them this stuff. the other friend is getting into tree work and sometimes borrows my chainsaws and some rigging gear as well. now that friend if i need a saw sharpened he takes care of it for me. well thursday night i dropped off my power pole saw with him as well as my 066 to sharpen. i gave him the pole saw for as long as he needed it on the condition that he sharpen the 66 by 8 pm friday night. because i needed it for saturday. so sure enough i went to his house 8:30 pm friday and the saw had not been touched so i picked up both saws and went to an older friend's house and borrowed a file at i believe 9:30 at night. got that and went home to sharpen 2 saws until almost 11 pm. then i got the saws to the job saturday and they wouldnt cut right. so i had to go to a shop and deal with them. the friend that likes to borrow the lawn mower too then had the testicular fortitude to call me and ask me if he could borrow my spurs. no more loaning stuff out. yet another friend today asked me if he could borrow all of my tree gear including chain saws and my personal saddle and ropes to cut down 2 trees at his house. (one of his employees "knows how to climb") 2 big trees right by the house. but he is a landscraper as well. do you guys loan out any of your stuff ever to good friends? i think i am finished with all that. no more. cause all they wanna do is wreck the stuff and not have to pay for repairs.

2. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I know exactly how you feel (betrayed & used) and hear "No good deed goes unpunished" But I do have 1 friend that can borrow anything I have. Matter of fact he just ask if he can borrow my Ford 3000 (diesel) to fix his driveway. Glad to let him use it. (But wouldn't let anyone else use it)

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Never loaned anything out, never will.

Only one person asked anyway. It was a 15yr old neighborhood boy who wanted to borrow a Stihl to trim with. Just told him no, we couldn't lend anything out.

This is our livelihood. We have to take it seriously. Lending out our stuff just to be "friendly or neighborly" wouldn't be in our best interest. And I think our friends and neighbors understand this, that's why no one asks.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

"I make my living with my tools. Please don't ask to borrow them." This is a sticker that is available from Snap-on I've seen posted on boxes before. I've always liked this saying and I think it's very effective. However, yes, I'm guilty of loaning a few things out now and again, even to friends in the business. These are all good guys though that I know would take care of them or replace them.

5. i know that it is not in my best interest to lend things out. however these guys see the equipment and they ask, i am now starting to say "no more" i am tired of gettin a chainsaw back that has a dulled out chain, or a set of dull blades, or missing pins for the velke, i can go on and on and on. no more!

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't lend things out as well. I figure that people will not take my equipment seriously and break it or something and I just can't go out and buy new stuff and most of my friends wouldn't pay to get it fixed. My dad was using my new Toro and I didn't mind that cuz he's my dad, I know he'll fix it, if he ever busted it. You guys ever had customers take trimmers out of your hands to show you how they want their lawn trimmed? I've had that happen. I didn't like the fact they were using my stuff but I suppose the customer is always right. I've also had them take my trimmer and go wack down some bushes in the back yard while I was mowing! I was sitting here thinking "Man, people these days!". Oh well.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I will lend my equipment out to good friends in the business with the agreement that if you break it you fix it. They have been very careful with my stuff!

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of car goes 60 mph in reverse?

A rental! (Loaner)

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

why is it when I borrow things I return them sharp, full of gas and clean, and when I loan things they come back dull, broken ,dirty and empty? I loan some stuff to church friends, but even then I am careful. Dave g

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I DONT LOAN MY FRONT LINE STUFF OUT. LAZER ,STIHL
    SAWS AND THE LIKE. I DO SOMETIMES LOAN MY BACKUP STUFF .
    MOSTLY TO MY SONS.I HAVE A FEW PEOPLE THAT ID GO RENT SAY A SAW OR SOMETHING. BUT THEY DONT MAKE THEIR LIVING WITH THIS STUFF SO THEY REALLY JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT.