Frigging Posion Oak AND Father-In-Law

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Nov 14, 2005.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

You know, when I know that there is poison ivy or oak on a job, I take precautions. BUT, when you are doing a favor for your father-in-law (hauling the trees he cut down), you would think your father-in-law would have the decency to tell you that he got posion oak on him and another friend, when they were cutting the darn thing down. I do a favor to haul the branches away for him, and now, my arms and chest have broken out all over! My wife thought it was chicken pox. I told her no it wasn't (me being a nurse at night), well she said her mother would know ("she has been around for awhile"). We go over to her house, she thought it was chiggers. I said no it wasn't. Well, my father-in-law, comes in looks at it, and saids. "that is poison oak". I said how do you know that so fast? He stated that he just got over it, and that he got it from the trees he cut down. Thanks alot dad for the warning! And I thought we were getting along so well. lol!:realmad:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

When I get poison ivy, I put chlorox (bleach) on it. I use it straight form the bottle with a paper towel, it usually takes 2 or 3 days and its gone.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i do

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose he'd tell you the reason all your tires went flat was because you ran over some of the nails he spilled in the driveway. He'd sympathize with you just like the poison oak ordeal. He'd say he already got his flats fixed and parks out in back where there's no nails.

Nosmo

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

BUY Technu wash for it and follow the directions,I KNOW about poison Oak,that stuff is the only thing that works,Forest service personel use it.You father-in-Law probably did not even think to warn you,but you should ask him why he did not warn you,hit him up so you know if he did it on purpose or not..you will be able to tell by HOW he answers you not from the words he says.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer ask me to move a plant from there porch a few months ago.They neglected to tell me why they wanted it moved, It had a huge wasp nest in it.

7. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I am currently using Technu, alternating it with rubbing alcohol to help dry the dang thing out. I can't stand it! The good thing is the ones on my arms are starting to lessen up (itching wise), the bad thing is, it just seems new ones are popping up. I know it is probably from me scratching (you know - not enough self-control) and spreading it around. Just writing about it, makes me itch more! Where is the frigging button to speed time up when you need it?!?

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Soak your arms in water as hot as you can stand with epsom salt in it. This will itch and feel good at the same time while it helps burst the blisters. Then use the Technu.

Nosmo

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

interesting. and no harm to your skin?

10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

that and bleach works great :)