Froeclosed properties - call from client

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by carcrz, Aug 16, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call asking if I could would be interested in mowing some foreclosure properties for a chemical client of mine (who also happens to be a partner of my in-laws / husband is the worker bee). She said that it was a new business adventure & that her crew didn't have enough time to get to these 10 lawns. So then she tells me they have to be done in 24 hours! Of course, they're all in the ghetto. She wanted $10 off every lawn for me to do them. I had already mowed all of my dad's project properties for the month so I had to decline this time. (I really hate those areas, but dad begs me to do his rentals for him, so I have to give in in case I need a sitter some night)

What I'm wondering is, she said that the company that is getting these lawns has a set price per K for each lawn. What kind of frequency do these get mowed at? I mean what if the grass is a foot tall & has obstacles all over the place? I'm going to talk to them a little more about it, but thought I'd see your thoughts.

2. A-Cut-ABOVE

A-Cut-ABOVE LawnSite Senior Member

If it from a company out of Texas and I dont remember thier name. You can ask them for more money for that stuff, but Make sure you get the pictures they ask for or they wont pay you. I went thru this with them on 1 property. My pictures werent up to thier standards so they didnt pay me and I didnt do anything else for them.

3. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a contract mowing foreclosed homes here in North Texas. I have about 80 of them. I visit them every week and I get a flat rate per home. Some are bigger than others and some are very very small, so I evens out. With the ones that I need to mow that are very high, I usually call and say I will charge by the hr. I usually make about 90 an hr(3 yards). It just depends on how big the lot is. I had one that was about 7' high and 1'2 an acre. Called my contact laughing at them, and bidded the job at $350, they went for it and it took me about 3 hrs to mow.

About all the junk, if you can see it, mow around it. Thats what I do. I do not get paid to pick up the trash and junk, especially in the ghetto areas. In the nicer areas, I do alittle extra, hoping to pick up some clients there also.

4. carcrz

I talked to her a little more this morning. Apparently the management company is also looking for an actual lawn care company to take care of more of their properties. I guess the lady that called me is working as a sub under them too & she was initially wanting to sub it out again I guess. Gee, I wonder why they are having trouble finding someone? I gave her my email address so hopefully she can get me some more info on this stuff. You know those people who try to make money off you by doing nothing? That's exactly the vibe I'm getting here.

5. American_Lawn

yeah, it is alot of middle men. I have a set-up with them and I am the 4th person(realtor-company-sub-me). I takes one week after the work to get paid, have to take pics of everything, send them. I have a property managemnt software now, and it helps. Make sure they do not screw you into doing more than what they want. I only mow. I DO NOT pick up trash. sthat is the biggest problem I come across. Also, if you do them on a regular basis, make sure you get a trip charge included. lets so you get $30 for each mow, but you go to mow it and the lawn does not need it, take the pic and get $10 for the drive. if you need more info just pm me and I can give you what I know so far. just do a few to see how things run, then if its good, take all the work you can handle. I like it cuz I have no customers to deal with. just mow, edge, trim and go.

6. carcrz

I'll PM you here when I hear a little more from them. It sounds interesting to say the least. Thanks!

7. American_Lawn

ok i will keep checking back. another thing do not mow anything that you would expect more money for. make sure they will pay it before you do it. i learned that the hard way.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Forget that, I find if they're difficult customers it almost never improves, then it can and does get worse, more often than not.
    This one sounds like a royal pita from the git go, and with relatives...

Where was this thing I was reading...?

Here it is...
    It's not exactly saying don't do it when it comes to relatives, these are specific examples when broad might be better but:

Tips on Avoiding Conflicts of Interest

1. Be aware that, in a small or family-owned business, special favors to family members and friends de-motivate employees and set a bad example.
    2. Think twice about offering a contract to a supplier who is a relative. Award contracts on merit.
    3. Avoid letting family members borrow company vehicles, and don’t allow your sister to ask the company computer wizard to set up her home office.
    4. Don’t put family members on the payroll if they’re not working in the company or can’t make a real contribution to the business.
    5. Think of the future. If you hope to seek investors or go public, dealings with family members outside the business will be questioned.

Brought to you by SCORE "Counselors to America's Small Business."

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

your pictures werent good enough so they didnt pay you? i sure hope youre charging $60 a yard or better if youre cutting b4 you collect the $$$. down here in ripoff-ville (aka walmart-ville) all the lawnboys get a cc# up front b4 they cut or else they decline the customer. the customer (if declined) has a choice of hiring a taco bell employee or doing it themselves.

most cough up the credit card.

10. carcrz

Topsites, it is a client of mine & a co-owner of the in-laws. I'm not all that concerned about the relationship with them at this point. I forgot to mention that she told the management co. that I was doing their 10 lawns already! :nono: I think I'm going to at least steer clear of working under my client & shoot a little higher if I decide to go through w/ this. Just the fact that I know they're doing them for cheap will give the management co. the impression that I will actually do them for the same price. :hammerhead: