from a guy who does no fert/pest

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by barefeetny, Feb 20, 2008.

1. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Gentleman

I am naive

I was talking with a lisenced applicator here in ny that i was going to sub some work to...

i asked him what his plan of action would be on a job I was bidding

He started talking about programs and what he would be laying down

i asked him "how do you know thats what this needs"

he said i can look at it and tell you that

Like i said i'm naive.... but before you start laying chemical wouldn't you take a soil sample to see what you allready have...

the other guy that i use all the time allways started with at least 1 soil sample...he never mentioned it but i have seen him take tons of samples when our work overlaps

i wish i could use him but this job is out of his area... Am i at all concerned for doubting him....

he can do whatever he wants but NOT on my job.... maybe you guys could just educate me enough that i can make an educated choice on this sub..

maybe i'm way off, but it just didn't sound right..

thanks

Nate

2. barefeetny

got a great response from someone i trust on a p-m

Case and thread closed

thanks ( you know who you are)

3. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that "just looking at it" is not a great response, but that does not mean he does not know what he is doing. The whole purpose of a program is to proactively manage the turf to keep it from having "needs." So, prevent weeds from coming up, apply fertilizers to prevent the grass from starving, prevent grubs from destroying the lawn, etc.

hope this helps.

4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Naive is about right!
    A soil test is what should be done on every property,However it is not necessary to start a program.
    Being "naive" you apparently aren't aware that the spring lawn applications are concerned with weed preventation and control not chemistry.

If you want a soil test and have a non-naive person to interpret it for you ,then require it from you subcontractor.

I would like to think that if your former sub was doing his job you would have a recent soil test and the lawn would be in balance.

5. barefeetny

gary

Being "naive" you apparently aren't aware that the spring lawn applications are concerned with weed preventation and control not chemistry

i am aware of springtime pre-emergents.the pesticides i can almost understand.. however even being naive i know that fertlilizer applications in the springtime shall change the soils chemistry

If you want a soil test and have a non-naive person to interpret it for you ,then require it from you subcontractor.

I would like to think that if your former sub was doing his job you would have a recent soil test and the lawn would be in balance.

this is a new lawn... my normal sub has never set foot on the property, Read my original post... i would think someone who was concerned about quality would have simmilar concerns

plus I have the answer i need

Nate