From Application To Dinner Plate

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Smallaxe, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Another point came up about Winterizing and How to Figure Out the Timing of application,,, and that is the period between application and the moment that the plant is actually using it as food...

Has anyone noticed the average timespan involved between the application and the noticeable changes in the growth/color of the plant???

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Ax, I noticed that when I treated a neglected lawn with 26-0-8 on different dates in the fall. There was a slight response after 2 weeks from the earliest treatment--but the differences were slight, so far. Stay tuned.
    Same lawn I plan to apply seed to one square yard during each month of the winter and spring. I wish to determine the results of winter and late fall seeding.

3. Smallaxe

That seems about right from my experience as well... So we need to consider that even under the best conditions, we shouldn't expect the fertilizer put down at Thanksgiving time to even be available until sometime in Dec...

Some forms of N require the aid of microbes to become readily available and how much have they slowed down by mid-December??? How much can the plants still utilize by mid-December???

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

General rule here is last N app is 6 weeks before the first freeze.

5. Smallaxe

That would place our last application at Aug. 15th...

What kind of grass does that rule apply to and why? :)

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

FYI Correct terminology is Response Time, as in Foliar application have a quicker Response Time than Granular.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Can someone tell me why a visual response is required for a plant to put an applied nutrient to beneficial use?

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have posted this several times over the years. It might not be 100% actuate but it is close and IMHO is still very valuable. It also answers your question.

9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I will play along without googling the answer......is it iodine?

Nickel, Aluminum, Silicon, Selenium!
    Soil elements that is found in plants and isn't usually useful for plant growth or consumption.

10. Smallaxe

Actually both light and water are not listed... without those 2 elements, nothing happens except death...

One thing that is for sure in my area is that no cell elongation in the leaves have taken place in the past several weeks,,, so N hasn't been valuable in that area(how about the rest of the plant)...

I still say that the roots in a lawn could not use even a 1/4 pound of N/k during the past weeks, let alone applying it several weeks ago and not getting response until now...

I expect that cool season grasses are able to continue to extract nutrients from the soil well after the first frost, but I suspect there is a soil temperature cut-off point for doing so... In fact I wouldn't be surprised that the 2weeks of 'response time' + about 4 weeks of active growing that 1 pound/k of N gets used up during September and another 1/2 pound/k applied on Oct. 1st might also get used up, in spite of CenroWisco grinding to a halt...

Anyways, it would be nice if that Turf Association mentioned the soil temps and accessability to N... AND... what are the chances of the roots actively growing again once the ground freezes in the Fall even IF it thaws again for Indian Summer??? :)