1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

From Bahai to Bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bharrison, Aug 25, 2001.

1. bharrison

bharrison LawnSite Member

I have 2 acres in South Louisiana. Like many out here, it is a cow pasture turned subdivision. What wasn't bahai was weeds. In June, I tilled up the yard, seeded common bermuda, and fertilized with 8-24-24 (according to local feed store owner, and soil analysis) The tilling eliminated alot of the bahai, but it is still very prominent.
    What steps should I take to begin to rid myself of the bahai, and make the bermuda thrive?
    Also what is a healthy height to keep the bermuda?

2. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Try MSMA . Will need to spray at least 2-3 times. There is a product called Allie that is suppose to be better. I never have tried it.
  3. bharrison

Is there a time frame that I should wait before spraying MSMA? I have been told not to spray because the Bermuda is too young, and that it may kill the Bermuda. The Bermuda is about 2 months old. Should I wait until next spring, or could I spray now? Also, you spray 2-3 times. How long should I wait inbetween sprayings? Thanks

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My back lawn is a very healthy bermuda. I cut at 3" until it gets really hot and then 3.25". I do all my customers that way also and they have really nice dark green lawns.
  5. bharrison

Man, I don't know if it's just the Bahai, or what, but I can not let my yard go 3". The bahai starts to seed in about 3 days (cutting at 1.5") If I tried to keep it 3" the seeding bahai would be 18-24" tall. I guess I could try it as an experiment, but I think the bahai would get out of hand. (at least until I can get some MSMA on it.)