From floods to burning up.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 12, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Unbelievable.

Went May through June with so much rain, we were surplus 14 inches from historical average. Flooding everywhere, farmers could not get crops in. Mowing waterlogged lawns constantly.

Now, 2 weeks with only 2 tenths inch of rain, none in sight. Lawns burning up.
    Will have to start a 10-14 day schedule starting next week on some lawns I'm afraid. What a load of bull.

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. About 3 inches of rain right now would be nice. They are going to get to the point where they are so burned up, its gonna take a lot of rain and cool weather to bring them back... And I really notice that most peoples water systems suck. 99% of them don't have even coverage at all. And people only run them for 10 minutes like that is going to do any good when its 95 degrees and 25mph winds everyday with no rain.

3. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

consider yourself lucky. we've had rain every day for 11 days in a row.

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

In Maryland we just got 5 inches

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We've gotten lots of rain here so far this year. It's supposed to dry up a bit next week and I can hardly wait.

6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Well....your in Minnesota. That about sums it up. I'm waiting for a summer snow

7. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

Same here. With record rainfall in the spring, the grass was growing like mad through the end of June. Was mowing everyone's lawn every 4 days without anyone objecting. But over the last 2 weeks we've only had .25 inches, which all occurred in one evening. It's been sunny every day with temps in the high 80's and 90's. Mowed all my lawns this week, but the way things are starting to look, I won't be touching them again for a few weeks. That is, unless we get some rain. Unfortunately there are only slight chances in the extended forecast.

This is why I don't think I'll ever quit my other job and do this full-time. Mother Nature can be such a b*tch sometimes.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I have learned to make the schedule adjustment before the lawns start burning, by being sensitive to the weather and its changes, for example I can almost always tell you when it rained last. Soon as it gets to where I haven't seen rain in 3-4 days, I start to thinking...
    A week without rain and I have made several adjustments already.
    By the time we're two weeks out, all my lawns have been adjusted.

It helps, in that burnt lawns can take forever to recover.
    Not to mention, it keeps the customers happy.

I like to say, look, you have the ONLY green lawn on the whole street.
    And more often than not, it is.

9. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats up DA, We're out of bloomington!

Yeah this weather sucks, next week may be a skip week for many of our lawns. After this season, Im thinking about going to a "mow with the weather" schedule. Mowing M-Sat during springs like this. Basically every 4-5 days. SOO many swamps this spring

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have seen this happen many times around here too. Doesn't take long for wind and high temps to dry things out. Rare is a Summer where that doesn't limit my income. Too much rain/too little rain-- all part of the business. Creates a lot of stress either way. Very hard to do a good job in high, soggy grass