From floods to burning up.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Well we are getting a good soaker. Didn't pay attention to the radar if it getting you in Rochester

2. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

just looked at the radar, minnesota has some widespread rain coming. hope it helps you. we had 14 inches in may, 4 the 1st half of jn and nothing for 3 wks. everything goes right above or below us.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

We got a good rain here too yesterday. One of those million dollar type rains, keeps us mowing here in MN.

Once again, the Almighty has humbled my poor sad-sap soul......

4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

We had over 5" where i service and another area had 7". Looks like you had less. Where I live though it was about 3".

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our weather must be coming from your direction. We have had an extremely wet year this year and now all of the sudden this entire week is supposed to be in the middle 90's mon-wed and near 100 thursday and friday with high humidity. We were on the first 2 lawns this morning at 7am and done our monday route and back home by 11. I actually want the lawns to slow down a little. I dont want them to burn up but just to slow down a hair. Been growing like spring so far this year.

6. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Bloomington got some. Still a few apartments are showing burnt up spots on areas that can only be done one way. :nono:

7. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I do not require a contract, but my quoted low-ish price is based on a set schedule throughout the year....if they don't like the schedule, and don't agree to it in advance, then they have to pay more per visit. Almost all choose the cheaper route, which pins them down to weekly mowing from April-September...no exceptions. After that it's 3 mowings in Oct, two in November and one each for Dec, Jan and Feb...(possibly more if lots of leaves) March is 2 mowings. If they complain about the yard not needing it during the winter I can trim shrubs or do some other service (not necessarily for the same price) but the key is we do make a trip to their house according to schedule. And as I said, I do not make my customers sign a contract -- I take the risk on someone bailing on me but if they want to keep my wonderfully-reliable and professional services at a low-ish rate then they'll do it my way....if not they'll pay more or have to look elsewhere. This way my income does not completely fall off in the winter, yet my customers lawns always stay kept up relatively inexpensively and without a contract...(which many people like)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The Good Lord is making me eat some humble pie for posting this thread.....

Just had another 1/2+ inch rain tonight. One isolated cell sat over us.
    I wish I could depend on God to provide consistently....its so much easier that way.

9. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya, man. I'm in the same situation. We always get too much rain in April/May, then by June we're begging for rain. We finally got just a little rain yesterday. Not much, but I'll take whatever comes.

What really burns me (and the grass) is when the lawns are already heat stressed, it's obvious the customers don't water, and the weed treatment/fertilizing companies drop their load and burn out what little green there was.

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Pick your poison