From GA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dhardegree, Nov 29, 2009.

1. dhardegree

dhardegree LawnSite Member

I've lurked around a few months. My name is David from Georgia. I spend my days educating America's youth as a elementary school teacher. My evenings are spent mowing. It's somewhat of a release, especially after a stressful day here or there. I've been doing this for a couple years, not real aggressively, just picking them up as they come along. I started with a husqvarna push, ryobi string trimmer w/ detachable head and edger attachement, and a borrowed blower. A lady in my church asked if I new anyone that could help her with lawn. That's where I started. Word of mouth spread and as business picked up for me I put back money and bought new equipment. I still would like a commercial grade 21". Last year I bought the commercial handhelds by stihl. This year I bought a fixerupper Bobcat 62", but it needs a new deck. 2 years ago I bought a timecutter 42". It runs well, but it's just not what I need. One thing I'm proud of is everything was paid for at the time of purchase. NO BORROWING.:clapping: Good thing, too. Last year I had 14 lawns. Which was plenty for what I had going on. Then, 4 of the 14 owners moved out of town. 1 got doctors clearance to continue normal activities, including cutting grass. 1 was not paying, after having to call all the time I dropped her. 1 moved to larger home with larger yard and wanted to pay the same price for lawn care. .

I haven't started advertising, but soon will when it gets closer to spring and hopefully things will pick back up and I can finish the Bobcat.

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site and good luck to you.

3. golfwaymore

golfwaymore LawnSite Member
    from 30705

Hi David, I'm from GA too but will be moving soon.

Just curious [since I'm familiar with most of the economic situation in GA], has the economy put any pressure in the pricing you've been able to get or the amount of work you've been able to secure?

Best of Luck,

Golfwaymore

4. dhardegree

I don't think I can fairly answer that. I haven't really tried to persue more accounts because of my primary job. However, a couple of the people that I had last year moved to the next county with larger mortgages. I still work with them at school and they said that some of the extras had to be cut back because of those mortgages and a longer drive to school.

Most of my accts. have come through word of mouth and are people I go to church with or other teachers at my school. I did however give a couple estimates this year to folks I didn't know first hand, and never heard back from them.

5. dhardegree

Oh, I have a friend who is in the business and he is more familiar with what's going on and he says that there is plenty of work to be had here, in Columbus.