1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

From NC, heavy equipment experience and thinking of doing something for myself...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Stroker, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

I found this site while doing a google search of a Kubota L48. I noticed from some of the threads I have read that many of you have gone beyond just landscape maintenance and I hope you can give me some advice....

Anyway, Im 27 and I started operating heavy equipment when I was 18 while going through the HEO program at Wilson Tech, in Wilson, NC. After that I worked for a couple of large contractor's running everything from backhoes, excavators, dozers, motor graders, ect.... I however hung it up a few years ago when I went to work for the family business. I "thought" a slack, 40 hour, air conditioned office job was what I wanted. I loved it for a while until I took a few side jobs for friends doing some dozer work on a buddies farm and just yesterday digging a dyno pit for a local performance shop. I realized while I was on that crappy rental backhoe that I really enjoyed what I do. That feeling got kinda lost by the big contractor employers I worked for where you busted your ass 60 hours a week, but were basicly just a number to the people really making the money....

I feel lucky right now that I am in a position where I can take a risk with starting my own small business. The reason being is I can continue to work my current job to pay the bills if work for my new business is slow or doesn't take off at all. I have considered buying a few small pieces of equipment and try getting my foot in the door in business. Which brings me back to how I found this site in the first place. I thought a machine like the L48 would be a good place to start because its versatile. I could offer backhoe/loader services, rotary cutting (bush hogging), post hole digging, ect. all with one machine.

Any advice for a motivated guy looking to finally do something for himself is greatly appreciated.... Sorry for the long post.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Go for it.

Sounds like you've got a good plan.
  3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

never know til you try. id did it.
  4. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

You certainly have the right attitude which is 90% of succeding,If you don't try you will never know ,it what seperates the sucessful people from everyone else.There is NOTHING like working for yourself.I took the plunge 10 months ago and am alredy turning away work!
  5. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Lets just suppose I aquire myself a machine like the Kubota L48 and maybe a couple of other small pieces just to get started. Would my best approach be to make contacts in the construction/landscaping industry to try and get sub-contract work? Or would I be better off taking out a yellow page and newspaper ad to find business?

Is offering backhoe/loader work, bush hogging, post hole digging, ect. a good start? Would probably also purchase a single axle dump truck for debris removal, ect.. Does that sound like enough, or would I be better to try and diversify a little more? I would be trying to keep this a one man operation at first since there is no telling how much work there will be from week to week... Im lucky that I already have an F-350 as a daily driver and a 24 foot deck over trailer. So I guess thats a start...
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in process of buying a single axle dump truck right now.

I bought some other equipment first because that's what I could afford, had I to do it over again, I think I would have waited a bit longer till I had the $$ to do the skidloader and the single axle dump at the same time.

I've been spending money renting a dump truck that I could have been spending on my own loan notes.....

Hindsight is always 20/20 though, I did what I thought was right at the time and don't regret anything, except not doing something for myself sooner.