From part-time to full-time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRAY, Nov 2, 2003.

1. CRAY

CRAY LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a question for any of you guys who are full-time in this business. My question is, when going from part-time to full-time, how can I make a smooth transition from part-time to full-time lawn business without losing money from my full-time employment. It seems impossible to handle a 40 hour weak full-time job and also build a lawn business to equal my primary income.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You are going to need a cushion of cash to get you through the rough spot. Can you not save some of your mowing proceeds for this purpose?

3. CRAY

CRAY LawnSite Member

So I guess the rough spot is when the lawn business becomes too large to handle along with a full-time job.

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Exactly, depending on what time of year you intend to make your transition, you could need 6 months of liquid assets to make the transition a smooth one. My reply is a general one. I dont know what you're expenses are etc. Keep working at it part time until you have the assets to get you through, then jump.

5. llama

llama LawnSite Member

I know what you mean, CRAY. I am in partners with a guy and we are in the same situation. We both have full time jobs and the part time lawn care is about too much. We thought it would slow down during the winter but so far it hasn't. We did over $13000 in October in our "part time" jobs. We want to quit are "full time" jobs but doing so is scary.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Why not hire a guy to help you mow lawns? This could be a good transition. That way you can get more lawns next year, keep your FT job and then the following year you could get rid of your helper and you would have enough to keep you busy. Or you could keep your worker and your FT job and make more money maybe.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Cray,

If you are considering hiring to help with your transition, here is a good post to read.

Employees??alot or none?