From this to this

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

So what were the walls made of?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Gunite and rebar
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The existing structure was block walls with vermiculite slope and floor. We just shot the floor and slope in. The pool is about 6" shallower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Junior M

Yeah, okay. Now I understand. I've never done that to a pool, heard if it a lot. That's what I've always wondered was how people made the walls work..
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

No. This is a remodel, not a new pool.

A gunite pool would be exactly what GM said. Rebar and gunite. This pool was originally constructed using cmu walls to hold the liner shape. The vermiculite is a form of soft support for the floors.

What we did was to replumb the pool on certain areas , dowl the cmu walls to the new floor bars and tie rebar. The pool was then shot and transitioned into the wall line. We set tile and plastered.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Junior M

Yeah, I know... I build and renovate pools for a living. I was asking what the walls were made out of because I've heard people talk about turning a vinyl liner pool into a gunite. But was never real sure how it was done, because of the walls... But because you had block walls, it was the perfect candidate.

I've never actually turned a vinyl liner into a gunite. But I've done it the other way around..

Are you worried about any cracking between the walls and floor or did you somehow tie the two together with rebar prior to shooting?

Scratch that. I didn't read that last part of the post.. Nice job!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The blue stripe tubing was initially made by Toro, don't know if it still is. Very good tubing for general punch in applications. Have gotten any in a while, so I don't know if they have reduced the wall thickness like it seems everyone else has.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I think Irritrol was the first with blue stripe. I remember when they came out with their swing pipe and it was much more flexible than funny pipe. They also had purple stripe drip tubing for non-potable water.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It might have been a Hardie product, brand name notwithstanding.