1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

From Zt's To Wb's????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone moved from ZT'd to WB's? Did you regret it? Any observations from anyone who HAS DoNE IT would be depreciated.
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both, but at the same time. I actually am thinking about buying some Wright Standers & switching my residentials that I use the Z's on to them. I am hoping that it may help a little w/ soil compaction & customers seeing big equipment on their residential lawns.
  3. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about Wright also but are they that much lighter than a ZT? They look lighter to the customer. Is a stander tha much better than a Hydro WB with a sulky? I think they cost a lot more than the hydro wb's.
  4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the same way. I have allot of residential 70-80 year old ladies that freak out when they see me on even the 52 on thier front lawn. I have never had anyone question me with a walk behind. I also like the low center of gravity on the stander you can put it on some of your hills and not have to worry about rolling it.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The stander 36" Sentar Sport is a little better than a Scag 36" ZTR but but there is still a lot of compaction. Got to use the WB without the sulky in a lot of wet situations. Customer do no like seeing a big unit running around o these small yard. We tried to use our 48" ZTR on front yards only and all hell broke out. The Stander is nice since it looks smaller than a WB....it is a good little unit. We got the one with the RH and that is very very important especially during leave cleanups.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had some customers that freaked with the zs, also on some turf the walkbehinds leave a nicer cut and stripe.
  7. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

i too am considering buying a smaller32-44" walkbehind. Most of my yards i do or would likely do are under 1//4acre with most around 4-6k. Only problem in my area is wb are unpopular and if i didnt like it the dealer said i'd prolly lose 50% taking it off showroom floor. Also looked into wright stander. drove a similar on th john deere quiktrak48 really did a number on my knees and back in just 5 min maybe i did something wrong but botherd me for like a week. Currently using walkers42 on larger yards and 21" johndeere14sb(talk about a real winner repairs constanly).
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't want to sound like Sentar salesman but it has a seat in the event you want to sit down. And the dealer would argue that a ZTR will hold its price better than a WB....don't know about that?
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see my self going to all riders for sure. Neighbour does it but has a wright stander I think? for hills. He says it holds greats and has no reason for walk behind and I can see why, most of our properties are 1 acre +.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Riders always the main mowers, wb is just for hill and slope. I will never ever go back and use wb all days cutting lawns, waste of time and energy.