1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

front axle shaft universal joint

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jacob land and, Sep 27, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

does anyone know how to replace both front axle shaft universal joints on a 2000 dodge ram 1500 W/ 4 wheel drive, i got an estimate at the shop for 3.5 hours of labor so that made me a little nervous about taking the project on but i know i can handle it and i cant afford to have it do at the shop right now so that is a good motivating factor also, any help would be appreciated
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

pick up a service manual at your local parts house. look it over and see if you want to tackle the job. If you do the manual will help you through it.
  3. jacob land and

is there anyone who can give me a little more detail to the project
  4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

That is a bit*h of a job, you have to remove the hub bearing assembly to get the axle out. The dodge is one of the hardest hub bearing i have ever removed.
    3 1/2 is right in a shop, at home in your garage add a few hours. Most of them have to have the bolts heated to get them loose. I have changed several over the years on the dodges i have owned and have seen several changed in the tire shop i used to work in. There is ususally alot of sweating, busted knuckles and don't forget the swearing.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

did the one on my 01 last winter. pull the tire off remove the brakes and rotor, remove the cotter pin and axle nut, now the fun starts remove the 3 bolts that hold the wheel bearing to the spindle, they may snap but you will probably have to replace the wheel bearing anyway. After you get all three out get a very sharp and thin chisel and hammer it in between the bearing flange and the spindle it will take alot of work and chances are it will get ruined in the process so have on there when you start after you get it out you can pull the shaft out to do the u-joints and spend the extra couple of $$$ and get decent ones. if you have any ? send me a PM
  6. jacob land and

yea thanks for the help guys but i went and talked to my dodge service tech. about it and the next mornig it was in the shop and that afternoon i was driving home broke but relaxed