Front Brakes on a Zero Turn Mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ted corriher, Jan 22, 2009.

1. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good picture The ZTR can easily mow this hill the brakes would HELP at the bottom to prevent a slide into the street or a tree

2. kjslawn

SOrry I thought the pic would come through

3. kjslawn

You should just stay home life is just to dangerous for you. Just think 20 years ago people said the same thing about car seats for kids.

4. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

I think the next step would be abs front and rear!

5. catflyer

catflyer LawnSite Member

I'm just mowing my own lawn, but I have a hill that I only mow part of with the ZTR . I'd like to mow more, and feel sure I could with these brakes. I would mow slowly, and in control (wouldn't try it wet). I am concerned about the hoses, and spindle strength, but otherwise love this system!

6. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you drop the front wheels into a depression that is low enough to stop all forward movement then you might flip. But understand this, the system is not intended as a license to take on more dangerous terrain. It is intended to be used in the event that you start to slide down a hill that is within your limitations. As for the concern about the exposed hoses, this is a prototype! Ted said that this is just a proof of concept unit that he built for testing. He said the final design will have the hoses protected and routed where they cant catch on anything.

7. scagmanjosh

scagmanjosh LawnSite Member

Ted, nice wheelies on that Bad Boy!! That mower looked incredibly fast, almost jumping the hill at one point. What model is that and whats the rated speed?

8. kjslawn

There is no way you are flipping a zero turn mower over the front I dont care how good the brakes are. I cant wait for this to be an option on a zero turn not for everyone but I would live them I slide all day. And eversince I seen this video I wish I had them at every yard I have

9. catflyer

catflyer LawnSite Member

Tried my hill. I was able to do a good section of it, just going as slow as I could. It is a short slope, and at the bottom I have no hazards, just the neighbors lawn. Still would love to have brakes!

10. ted corriher

ted corriher LawnSite Member

We just posted some sneak peek pictures of the disc brake design on a new thread to get your input. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285970

We will have new photos with them mounted and videos on the testing very soon.

Check out the link for the new thread. . .

Ted Corriher