Front Brakes on a Zero Turn Mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ted corriher, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ted corriher

ted corriher LawnSite Member

scagguy I think you said it all. If it saves your ass just once itwould be worth it for me.You asked how much would it cost? After a manufacturer fits the three main compoents a master cylinder and two slave cylinders or hydralic calipers on disc brakes the production cost will be less than 60.00 dollars per unit.Is this worth saving a life or what!I will be answering outer post tomorrow and will be filming a few videos to answer all of your questions and Yes I will install a roll bar and a seat belt before the next test ride Ted Corriher
  2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a GREAT idea. For those of you that mentioned it's the "operators" that get themselves into trouble (true) or "knowing the limitations" of your mowers (also true) I can see how this can help in both instances. It's the difference between a careless employee possibly saving their own life (and your mowers) and also expanding the capabilities of your existing mower making it more efficient........i.e......more money in your pocket being able to mow areas you couldn't before.

My only comment on design would be to reconfigure the way the hydraulic hoses enter the front spindle. It will easily get caught on low branches or knocked loading, unloading, etc... I'm thinking adding a 90 degree fitting on top or incorporating it into the side of the spindle housing would be a great addition. I think what you all need to take away from this is that this is an enhancement that can not only create a safer mower (whatever your brand loyality is) but increase productivity and put more money in your pocket!! Entrepreneurial spirit, gotta love it :) Well done.

I know I'll get flamed for this but what the hell. I'll go out on a limb that the individuals that have posted and are slamming this design (or calling it worthless/not needed, etc...) would fall under the "old dog, new tricks" category. I would venture a guess this may become a standard feature on most brands within a few years. It's also ironic that they put this on a Bad Boy which for many of you is also "tainted" because of the disbelief a mower can be overbuilt and reasonably priced. If this design doesn't become standard, I'm sure you will see a knockoff of some sort. Food for thought, just open your minds a bit. :)

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

if you are dumb to go that fast down a hill with a 500 foot cliff on the buttom ,you will forget the brake ......
  4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

how about 4 wheel brakes? off one foot pedal
  5. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Great Idea
  6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I think it is a good idea as well. Maybe add an adjustment that allows the brake to be only 80%-90% effective at full force. That would prevent the casters from acting as a hinge like another poster said.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ted, Make up a set for a Lazer Z HP. Pm me after you get 10 posts. (It takes 10 days after you join here to pm anyone.) I'll give you my CCinfo and we'll put one unit on and give it a real test. I have a 6 acre estate on Lake Travis that has wrought fence 3 feet past a sidewalk on a 20 degreee slope. Then we have the lake bordering the back half of the property. Should be fun.
  8. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

screw the front brakes, give me a 4x4 mower!
  9. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

You read my mind! But how about 4 wheel brakes with separate pedals for left and right?!
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 90 degree fitting on the top and keep the hoses out of branches harm.

I love the idea.

Do you drill out the caster stem? Or are some hollow? Lets have some close up pics of the workings.

Do they work as a parking brake as well? Would help moving around the trailer during transport.