1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Front Brakes on a Zero Turn Mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ted corriher, Jan 22, 2009.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we all know guys will take the mower where it shouldent go but they will do it so why not have a safty to help
    nice job
  2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea. But we all have to ask ourselves a few questions. With how America and other areas of the World can get obsessed with lawns,, don't we do some bad landscaping that creates dangerous areas to mow and don't we mow on some steep hills that we really shouldn't be mowing on? I gave a bid on a 13 acre lawn around a cheese factory. It was mostly wide open but on the east end there was this hill that was at least 30 degrees if not steeper. I told the manager it was too steep and unsafe to mow and he disagreed. I could have mowed most of that hill if I put duals on the back of my tractor but I still would have been risking my life.
    I think you have a good product and I'd guess you will make a living off of either selling them aftermarket or exclusive to one of the ZTR companies. But aren't some people with these brakes on their ZTR just going to push the envelope even further?
  3. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people WILL push the envelope even further no matter what you do. Mowers could mow at 40 mph, turn/stop on a dime, etc, etc. Those people are called, STUPID.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

seems like a good Idea....but lets just wait and see if it the $60 your saying..I have a feeling this will be a $500 option!
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking !!
  6. lifetree

I agree with topsites about training the operators !!
  7. lifetree

lmao ... !!!
  8. lifetree

Do you mean a tow behind deck mower ??
  9. Blunt

Blunt LawnSite Member

I use 4 wheel drive with a tow behind rough field mower on parts of 2 lawns that i do. One because i need 4-wheel differential lock to get up the hills on the second its simply to wet and rough for a lawnmower. When a atv is up over its rims in soup I doubt a ztr would be a good choice. The tow behind tends to get hung up easily as well due to the long tongue
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Kabota makes a 4wd garden tractor. It would be more bulky but a 4wd ZTR isn't out of the question! I have ideas but don't have the resources to do anything about it.