Front Brakes on a Zero Turn Mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ted corriher, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dsm

dsm LawnSite Member

yep, you just can't 'fix' stupid...

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would agree on this. Just machining a hole through the caster yoke is going to cost a bit (drill a hole through solid steel for 6 plus inches for each side). Plus I've seen used mowers with that piece bent from hitting a curb to fast, I can't imagine a hollow one being as tough.

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont take on lawns that are dangerous. i slid off side of high slope once and learned..

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, all right...

Even careful operators have their moments, this is true.
    To the most experienced and educated operators it could happen, a tiny brain fart is all it takes.
    And for that reason I'd still market it as an emergency brake only.

That way, when one of the front tires is low on air causing that steel plate to cut into the rubber...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

no i meant all 4 wheels moving on a ztr. there were times when i almost got stuck pretty good and could of used it. but i know that isnt at all possible.:):rolleyes:

6. ted corriher

ted corriher LawnSite Member

Hi from Ted Corriher I have been reading all of your post thanks.I will post a few pictures of under the floor board you will see that I am using twin master cylinders with a balance bar that is for a race car, a balance bar lets you control the front and rear brakes separately, so yes you could use it for left and right brakes but it is not necessary for safety on a zero turn mower it will be used on our four wheel brake model to adjust the proper balance.Cost is a big issue for everyone so for safety only one master cylinder is needed the main goal is to get stopped.I spent less then 300 dollars on the parts I used and I paid full retail at BSR racing that's as high as it gets, it will cost large manufacturer less than 60 dollars to put on all of there units.I think that's cheep for a life.

7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

so now its $300?

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

That's retail price for parts only. He is stating that the mfg will get 80% off retail because of volume discounts. I don't think that is achievable but it is what is stated.

It also does not account for labor, fab, or machining. These will easily cost more than the retail part price.

9. ted corriher

ted corriher LawnSite Member

As I said the components that I used were for a NASCAR CUP RACE CAR with dual master cylinders and a balance bar (WILWOOD) BRAKES this is not even close to what would do the same job for a fraction of the cost

10. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay an extra 200-300 for the option to have brakes money well spent in my book.