Front caster clip failure. Anybody else. Pics of damage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know the exact name of these clips, I do beleive most units use these.

2. DynaMow

I just had my second failure of the year. First time rigt side, this time left. Certainly did not know it was off until I lifted to go onto driveway, hear this big rackett and front castor assembly shouts out of discharge

3. DynaMow

I sure am glad I have solid front tires

4. DynaMow

I have not figured out why they have failed, any ideas?

5. DynaMow

Has anybody else ever had this problem? What are my alternatives? Any better clip that you know of?

6. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

They don't fail. Mower runs up under a bush/shrub and loop on the pin catches, opens, and the pin falls out. Caught it before anything damaged or lost. Went back to the wire clips that came with the mach.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Like tshank said, Lynch Pins don't usually just fall off. Something grabbed it and pulled it off. You can get a bigger pin and drill the castor shaft to accept the bigger pin. The bigger the pin the harder it is to open.
  8. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

thats amazing how the tire survived and the rim didn't

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Eventually they do wear. Constant friction angainst the top spacer grinds them down over time. I like to leave the "flip clips" as I call them in place just for ease of maintenance. A bolt works nice. ANYTHING you put through the hole will wear eventually. Here's a tip: When the pin breaks and you're 20 miles from the shop and you have nothing else to use.......trimmer line.
  10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

And I thought I was the only one... had that happen on a Bobcat 36" about 10 years ago. Like the others stated above, something caused the clip to open and then it fell out. My machine was out of commission until we got the destroyed blade off, and replaced the tire. My Scag/Ferris machines still use them, but I haven't seen that happen since.