Front caster tires: ribbed or smooth and why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 27, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Ribbed tires seem like they would track straighter than smooth (great for striping), but do they damage turf at all? Input would be greatly appreciated.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ribbed tires to me don't get as many punctures as smooth. Maybe just me but that's my experience and that means a lot.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ribbed also run smoother.

4. tb8100

from TX

Really? So are there no advantages to smooth tires? I find it hard to believe that Scag, Exmark, and Toro all run inferior tires to other companies.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I used to feel the ribbed left more swirl marks when spinning in place, but I've come to realize that for some reason the Carlisle ribbed tires ride great at 8lbs where the smooth never rode that well. The smooth seemed to get leaks much more often.

6. tb8100

from TX

Do they make ribbed in semi-pneumatic?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know. Semi's don't ride great at all. Too firm for me.

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not questioning anyone or anything, but why do you think everyone uses smooth? I can't imagine the cost is that much different, especially when OEM's buy so many of them. hmmm.

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Original post got pulled huh? anyway, never used ribbed. I have noticed the semi-pneumatics on Toro seem to be too flat to rotate the caster without tearing the turf in the spring, you need to keep them rolling at all times. Ours are brand new and it may get better as the caster bearings loosen up some, but it seems the older styles did not do this. Probably get less grass laying over and compaction, so it is worth the small inconvienence.

10. tb8100

from TX

The semis are really square shouldered.