Front casters wobble on my wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Jun 28, 2001.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

My walk behinds front wheel started to wobble alot when going fast on pavement. It started this kinda suddenly. Do any of you know why this happens? Maybe it is just getting broken in. My old wb wheels do the same but the casters are both bent. Thanks
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever pushed a shopping cart real fast? Kind of the same on your
    mower huh? Early Exmark Lazers did the same death wobble on hard
    surfaces. Exmark redesigned front casters,they put tapered roller
    bearings and a self locking nut so you can put some preload on
    casters to stop the wobble. I think your gonna have to live w/
    the wobble on your mower. Most walk-behinds don't have any way
    to preload the caster bearings. ED
  3. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Did you say that it is just 1 wheel wobbling? If it is I would bet that you have a wheel that is not as close to the ground as the other 3. Check your clearances. Try shimming that one down a little.You might find that loosening everything on the carriage then tighten everything back up may fix it.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you need to replace the brass bushing. They are probably worn out. A couple of dollars fixes the problem.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even worry about it. If it's just a swivel-like wobble, this is practically normal. My walk behind did this from about the time it was new, and probably still does. I'm sure your bushings are probably fine, and I wouldn't worry about any shimming because it's not far enough of to effect any cutting performance. As a matter of fact, I bet it works just fine in turf, doesn't it? Just keep them greased and you are as good as gold.;)
  6. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious. They never wobbled until the mower was three monthes old and runner you are correct they never wobble when on turf.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

65hoss is right. the brass bushings are easy and worthwhile to fix.

8. hobbes

hobbes Banned

Runner's right, when you run fast over concrete or hard turf the front wheels will wobble even on a newer machine. Doesn't necessarily mean the bushings nead to be fixed.
    Linky, in case you didn't see it thanks for the reply on height adjuster rods on floater. Loosened them & works fine now.
  9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I bet it's the bushings too. My Bobcats start to woble when the bushings get a little worn. Russ
  10. Alan

Alan Member

Check your tire pressures. If this came on suddenly I'd bet you have a soft tire on the opposite side in the rear. Doesn't have to be very soft to make the front caster light enough to dance when you're on hard surfaces. If doesn't bother on turf because the grass is resilient enough to keep some pressure on the tire