Front Castor bearings

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KTNC, Jul 4, 2004.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

The other day I was changing blades, and noticed that the right side castor spun much more freely than the other side... So I'm assuming the bearing is shot. I have a 01 Lazer 25/60 w/no grease fittings for the bearings, only on the forks.

The machine only has 110 hrs on it, so I would think that it is odd to fail so soon... Please advise on your thoughts, and the procedure for changing this bearing (if you believe this is the problem), and future maintenance recommendations. No luck w/ a search, and the manual is very vague about his procedure.

Thanks...

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It may just need to be readjusted to proper torque.
    I'm sure Terry can help you further when he gets a chance.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KTNC,

The front caster wheel should have a tapered roller bearing. All tapered rollers require some amount of drag for to get the maximum life possible out of them. This drag is set by tightening the axle bolt.

Simply raise the front of the mower and spin the caster tire. If it makes more than one to one and one half revolutions you need ot tighten the axle bolt. This is a good item to check every time you raise the mower up to remove the blades. Without proper drag or pre-load the bearing has a much shorter life.

Thanks,

Terry

4. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry... Prior to your reply I had found that info in the manual and everything is nice and snug now.

The manual states removing and re-packing the bearings yearly... Is this done by removing the long bolt that goes through the wheel (and then removing bearing), also I believe it makes reference to removing the brass colored cap on top of the fork to lube, how is this done?

Thanks.

5. eXmark

KTNC,

To re-pack the wheel bearings simply remove the axle bolt which will allow the wheel to be removed. You can then remove the seals (you'll need new ones) and bearings. Clean the bearings thoroughly with solvent and "rake" grease back into the bearing itself. It's also a good idea to clean all the grease out of the cavity between the bearings. You then put the bearings back in and fill the cavity between them install the new seals and re-install the wheel tightening the axle bolt enough to create the proper amount of drag/pre-load mentioned earlier.

For the front caster pivots you'll pop the cap of the top. I've always used a flat screw driver to get the cap slightly lifted and then I can hook the lip of the cap with a 90 degree pry bar. With the pry bar under the lip of the cap I can tap pry bar with a hammer and pot the cap right off. I've also seen them removed with a very large wide standard screw driver. Once the cap is removed you can then replace the screw in plug on the outside of the caster pivot tube with a standard 1/4-20 grease zerk and pump grease into the bearing until you see fresh grease appear from the top of the bearing. Once you see the fresh grease simply wipe off the excess and that is all the lubrication that is required. Before you replace the cap you should however set the caster pivot pre-load/drag. For this bearing all that is required for this adjustment is to tighten the nut that holds the caster in place until the nut is tight and then back it off 1/4 turn. This adjustment prevents the caster wheels for shaking at high speeds on hard surfaces.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Terry

6. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Every time I change the blades on my two year old Lazr(270hrs.) I check the caster wheels. And every time they need to be tightened. I took it too the dealer and they say nothing is wrong with it. I believe in preventive maintenance, but somehow I think this is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. I change blades approximately every 12 hrs.

7. eXmark

Lazer 46,

Send me your serial number and I'll verify which bearing you have in the front caster wheels. You can pm me at terry.eckert@exmark.com

Thanks

Terry

8. iloco

iloco LawnSite Member

Both my caster top bearing came loose with less than 50 hrs on my xmark.
    Both bearings were so bad I had to replace them.
    What seals are you talking about replacing. Is it the bottom one on both caster wheels.
    Also does a person need to replace the races the bearings run in if they appear to be ok. Thanks.