Front drive 21 mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by narly1_2000, Aug 29, 2003.

1. narly1_2000

narly1_2000 LawnSite Member

Anyone used these. Just got a Craftsman ( I know ) 21 with the Honda engine but the front wheels just spin on the thing. Why would they design a mower like this with no weight in front. To turn, you are on your own because the front wheels are even on the ground. Anynoe else have one of these?>:blob3:

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Because they are a lot cheaper to manufacture. Can you still return it?

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO fornt wheel drives are a WASTE OF TIME. I have run them and hated them so much, no matter how good the engine is there is NO comparison for a rear or front drive. Rear wins hands down.

sears says on their advertising "satisfaction guaranteed" well go back and get ur satisfaction. :D

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't used nor intend to try a Craft mower, have used FWD mowers though.
    Most everyone must agree with you guys about liking RWD units cause a quality FWD is hard to find, currently use RWD for that reason.
    This is JMO so no need to blast OK.
    I like FWD. Find it to be much easier to manuever and don't have to mess with engage/disengage all the time. Wanna turn, just push down on handle bar and swivel. But, that's just me.
    Do wonder about balance of some models though. If mower is balanced to be heavy on the front end it would be more difficult I understand.
    On the Craft unit, have you extended the handlebar out as far as it will go? Might make it some easier.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I got a chance to use the Cub Cadet (MTD) 6 horse (KAW) castored 21" machine. The castors are great and make it a "usable" machine for a 21. I'd trade in the Sears and try one of these from Home Depot or Loew's.

6. Shawn's Lawn

Shawn's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have the old sears craftsman front wheel drive I bought for 20 dollars last month.. I really enjoy it personally.. The only thing I do not like is the way it mulches and bags... I had to fix that and custom make a mulch plug out of aluminum.. now its great, mulches like it should, but I still need to do some tweaking..

I mow a customers house that has a steep incline.. WHat I do is push up on the handle bars and that reduces the wheel spin.. but I mow up using the front wheel drive then I pull back to the start point.. I have no complaints out of ym 20 dollar mower as I do toro prolines.. I cant stand the toro handles..

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old Craftsman FWD but it is a steel deck hi-wheel monster. It is 1 speed (slow) and it is a back up mower. I also have it parked in my backyard to bag around the pool. Mine has no trouble engaging the ground but it is heavy. I know why they are homeowner models.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

What's not to like about the Toro handles, especially on the Proline where it is a solid, one piece, tubular steel handle? That makes for a very rigid design, with no play in it.

Or are you referring to the operator prescence/drive handle? That is a great design as well. I know it takes some a while to get used to, but, IMO, it is superior to any design employing multiple control bails.

9. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I must have the same mower that Mo-Ed has. It was given to me be a customer so I can't complain about the cost. She said ".they didn't need it anymore because they have me". I use it to cut my own yard, but I think it's a real POS. Those front tires spinning all the time tears up my lawn. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth.