Front end sag

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by watatrp, Jan 10, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

New to plowing. Have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/ a Boss straight plow. Seems to work fine. The front end seems to sag a little. Any products I can install to fix this. I've heard something about Monroe Muscle LSE but can't find out any info on that. Any suggestions?

2. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

crank upyour torsion bars,send it out for a wheel alignment,and check nappa for the muscle lse-they have them...don't forget to putenough ballast in the back of the truck

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dont crank up the bars more than 2 turns or so,Id leave them alone and live with the sag,it will ride rougher with the cranked up.Get the timbren,or Napa boosters,but dont go crazy on the torsion bars.

4. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Before wasting your time trying to find Monroe Muscle LSE at NAPA call 1-888-723-7743 and ask if they make them to fit your vehicle and could they give you a part #. It appears as if NAPA has no way of cross referencing this item in there computer????

5. Iceman

Iceman LawnSite Member

WATATRP,

I have a 2000 1500ext cab Chevy I put a Western 8' poly on and had the same results. Great to plow with but the front end squated bad. As of yet I haven't added any after market lift helpers but I did turn up tortion bars 3 turns. This seemed to help and didn't effect ride much with plow off. I'm considering going 2 more turns when I plow then turning them back down when I unhook the plow.
    My NAPA dealer didn't have any helpers to install as of Dec.2000, haven't checked any farther since. You find something let me know.

6. bcngtr

bcngtr LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Does it really matter that the front sags a bit? I have a 1990 c/k1500. It seems to sag about an 1-2" w/ 8' Western. I thought it was normal for that to happen given the weight of the plow?

7. Iceman

Iceman LawnSite Member

In my situation, what bothers is the ultra low clearance my plow hookup has. As you know Western plow mounts are notoriously low any way, then when you mount them on a 1/2 ton truck that sits lower to begin with plus the fact the front suspension is weaker, you end up with a plow frame that has a hard time clearing even a 4" sidewalk. My angle cylinder pins take all the beating.
    Unless the problem is somewhat corrected, premature and uneven front tire wear is the end result.

[Edited by Iceman on 01-10-2001 at 12:38 PM]

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we have that same truck, a 1500 short box. it does sag a bit. a company named timbren makes two rubber pieces you can put in. they are in the aw direct catalog. they made the truck sag a lot less. they are called loadbusters. email me if you have any other questions

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

This may be a dumb question,if you know your going to plow why do did you's buy 1500 excab's?The 2500 excab isnt much more money(not the HD2500),and it is meant to take a plow,the 1500 excab is not meant to handle a snowplow.I thi
    nk they ride as good as the 1500,have stronger 4L80 tranny,6.o 300HP.I was going to buy one,but decided to buy an older truck.With an 8 ft on a 1/2 ton,you will have bad sag,my truck sags bad if i overload it too.

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I had considered buying a 2500 but then decided that the hassle of plowing wasn't worth it. Then had an opportunity come along where a buddy decided to get out of the business and I was able to take over 25 of his residential accounts. This all happened just a month ago after I bought the 1500. Now I wish I had bought the 3/4 ton.