front end support on 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fga, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

from my other thread, i said i was buying a 1990 GMC 1500 4x4. i'm going to be doing light plowing, with it abd was looking for link for those airbags that go in the front coil springs to add stability to the front end, any one have a link? my usual sites like JC Whitney don't have them for my truck. any help? or ideas?
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Do search for Timbren, but doesn't the 90 have torsion bar suspension?
  3. We cut for money

We cut for money LawnSite Member

try snoway lexan plows. You may not have to modify anything.
  4. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Summit part #AIR-81560

8 dollars shipping and handling

I buy lots of stuff from them, they are great to deal with
  5. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

oops, didnt see u have 4WD. sorry
  6. fga

i didn't buy it yet, so i'm really not sure. i'm going to do the search now, but what are timbrens (without laughing)?
  7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hey FGA, what kind of plow are mounting up to it? Reason I ask is because I did quite a bit of searching around for plows myself as I'm putting one on my 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and came up with the Blizzard 760LT. It weighs 550lbs. and the dealer has put quite a few of these on 1/2 tons without needing to beef up the front. I talked to a couple guys locally here and they are very happy with the plow and have no plans on adding bags or Timbrens.

8. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

9. fga

the plow is already on it. its a myers e 47. someone said i could change to a plexiglass blade or something like that. but i've also been told that other people have done nothing to their trucks and they drive on forever.... so i'll go easy at first, and see if i need some air bags. i already decided since my accounts aren't that far from my house that i'll drive by several times, rather then doing one big push, instead 3/4 inches at a time. thanks.
  10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

A 1990 1/2 ton is still a 1990 1/2 ton, with or without air bags. The fact remains that the front ends of these trucks will wear at a greater rate than a 3/4 or 1 ton. have all the ball joints checked, idler arm, pitman arm, ect. Its big money if the front end is shot.