front hub replacement

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, May 19, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok so i have figured out that i have a front bearing going on my truck, which i am told, is a very common problem with GMC's. However, i am told by my local auto parts store that i will have to replace the entire front hub assembly which is about $190.00. is there anyway to just replace the bearing in the hub, or do i have to bite the bullet and replace the hub?

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow....Buy a new truck and everything goes wrong. Remind me to buy a Ford when I do buy one.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

NO MIKE.........LOL

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i know, i've had some bad luck with this truck, but i did deat on it for the first two weeks. now that i've stopepd doing that, things are starting to show up from my abuse. but overall she runs like a top. i think my next truck will be a brand new one, no more used vehicles for me.

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

With a used vehicle EVERYTHING goes wrong in the forst month or two. I have always found that if it is going to go wrong, it'll happen in the first month.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another reason NOT to buy 4x4 expencive and more frequent repairs. price you pay for having to have a "macho " 4x4

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Up here, a 2wd truck is worthless for the post part

8. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

For the sake of simplicity just replace the whole hub. You will be trying to chase the right size diameter bearings for days. Then the hub will have to be removed and the bearings will have to be pressed out/and back in. Not to mention, just the bearings will cost you around $65...To replace the hub is very simple. Remove wheel, brake caliper, rotor, 3 bolts to remove hub, and reverse...good luck

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

2 wheel drive trucks can do just as much work as a 4x4 -in any part of the country. 4x4 is NOT needed for a work truck!

10. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

the two wheel drive version has the same set up. you have to replace the whole assembly also, except it is more money