Front mount mowers for residential accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Scapes, Jul 9, 2012.

1. T Scapes

T Scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

nope just a quote i like thanks for the info on the mowers

2. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

well it's kinda gay, just sayin'...

3. T Scapes

once again thanks for the info if i need a opinion on a quote you will be the first person i ask

4. jbell36

from KANSAS

i started my business with a grasshopper...we did mostly residential...switched to stand-ons about 8 or 9 years later and will never go back...main problem with the grasshopper was the bar tires, rutted yards out pretty good, and with the additional weight of a sit down i decided to switch...

so will it work? yes, but then again standers were new when i first started...seems like standers are the way to go these days, i personally think they are much quicker, more fun as well...i wouldn't mind having a grasshopper with a bagging system though

5. T Scapes

my only thing against standers are that i am 6ft 4 and with my lazer i have now im doing the 5 d's of dodgeball around trees so i feel like id would stand even taller on those plus i do cut a fair amount of hills so 4wd is nice

6. jbell36

from KANSAS

i wasn't familiar with the 1445, now that i know what it is i would definitely say no, on that one at least...those are close to what the city uses with their grounds crew...as for hills, we use toro grandstands and couldn't be happier...the grasshopper wasn't bad either, especially in reverse...i honestly think you should try a stander, it's much more acceptable to the customer and can handle hills very well...grandstand sits a little higher than the wrights tho

i think it's easier to dip dive duck dodge and dive on the stander although you are higher, the machine comes before you, not you before the machine, and when you are in a seat, it's hard to dodge a branch...

so if you are like me and you are stuck on a decision like a ztr then i would say something similar to a grasshopper or walker...but consider a stand on

7. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

Grasshopper is the king of the front mount mower in my humble opinion. I have a 718K with well over 7,000 hours on it still going strong with the original motor and hydro's. Ive never used another front mount but i have heard good things about the older John Deere F620.

8. T Scapes

so your saying stay away from the 1445 if grass hopper had a close dealer i would look into them but the closest one is over an hour away

9. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker LawnSite Member

I just sold my GH 729G2 with a 61" deck... only because I got into the lawn care business this year and it is too big to maneuver in several of our lawns. The mid-mounts work better for us. There are pros and cons to having one. I really liked the power deck for changing blades. It is good for getting up under shrubbery and trees. I always got more dirty and dusty with it, which I don't with the new Ferris mowers. I have ran over a few small bushes, shrubs and scarred several with the back end swinging around. Over time I got better with it, but still had the occasional oops.

10. T Scapes

Yea i think if i have my rider and a front mount and i also have a walk behind so overall i think that fleet will work well but i am thinking of switching to all john deere with a 1445 with a 62in rear discharge a 930 with 60" deck and mod and then a 48in walk behind