Front mount mowers........what are advantages/disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Oct 5, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, There is a John Deere F620 60inch cut at my local JD dealer, 99 model looks nice, at a price i can afford, but i dont have a clue when it comes to front mount mowers, what are the advantages/disadvantages of them compared to a mid mount ?

Link to pic of mower...
    http://www.machinefinder.com/photo_m... ageseq=203392

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

I recently bought a f725 at a price I could't pass up. I've only used it on once on my own lawn but it worked well. I have several trees and the outfront deck is excellent for getting under them. Have'nt found any disadvandages yet.

3. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

4. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i think the only real dissadvantage is the length. Compare a wright stander to a front mount. There is almost nowhere you can't get with a stander and you could put 2 or 3 in the space one front mount would take up on a trailer. but open spaces and trees and shrubs???

5. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

well this particular machine isnt like one of those real old school front mowers that are as big as a car, thats why i was interested in it....did you check out the pic ?

6. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

looks sweet - does the deck flip up - that would be a real advantage if you plan on running a with a mulch kit some of the time and discharging some of the time - and yes it's not like the front mount scags or gravelys but the length "could" still be an issue - if it's not go for it?!?!? - especially if it's deisal

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There will be a lot less trimming with a front deck. You can ride it faster because it is more comfortable. I have NEVER hit anything with the back of my machine. I'm not sure why everyone always says something about the length of this type of machine.

8. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

got an update on that mower.....it only has 665 hours.....my walkbehind has more than that.....want $2700 for it, The only downside it has a 20HP Kohler.......do you think that is good enough to pull a 60" deck......my 455 has a 22HP Diesel and Pulls pretty hard in tall grass, Kind of hesitant about the motor....what do you guys think ?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

That does seem like a low HP for a 60" deck. Heck I'm running 23 kawis on my 52 and 60 scag ZTR....

Once you get used to the as s end of the mower swinging out in turns you'll do fine... When I had my walker, I had to replace a few dinged up gutter down spouts until my employee's go the hang of it...

You sit lower which is nice not as many branches to take your hat off...

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing that 90%+ LCO's choose the mid mount even though the front mount has certain advantages. They run alot of front mount Grasshoppers around here (the only front mount I would consider) and in certain types of terrain they do better, trimming under bushes, fences etc. But they are long, some do hit things with the back end, and the midmount is the over all favorite with most, but a few will swear by the front mounts and drive nothing else. If in doubt get the midmount. I have nothing against either. Walkers are not practical in this area (large lots and nobody bags).