front mount or zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 430 boy, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

just wanted to see what everybody tought regarding front mount vs zero turn? :blob3:

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to Lawnsite 430 boy. Well, z-turn are much faster productivity wise. My opinion is the quality of cut is also superior to the front mounts. What type of front mounts are we talking?

3. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

what about proformance on hill over 30% grade ;)

4. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Buy a front mount ztr, it's the best of both worlds. Grasshopper or JD F687 and Snapper even makes one. :waving:

5. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am running Kubota front mount and the cut is extremely good. I will probably buy a ZTR next year just to see what everyone is talking about spped wise. As for hills, I dont cut any areas that have small hills. Either mine are flat or they have 45 dgree slopes leading down to the water. On the hills that I have, I go forward down and back up them.

I have an F series with 72inch deck and a GF with a 60 inch deck. When I buy a ZTR, it will be a kubota.

The GF is 6 yrs old (1800 hrs) Just replaced the injectors this year.
    The F is 8 years old w 2800 hrs. Never done anything execpt PM.

Jim

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have ran a Kubota 60" front mount and a mid-mount will out-produce it any day. Mid-mounts are more agile and have faster ground speeds. My experience is from mowing softball fields with the Kubota and also my 260Z. In other enviornments, the front mount may be better, but overall I think the mid-mount would be better and more efficient.